Installing new lowrance unit

wads33

Reaction score
I just picked up a lms 522c. I'm thinking about how I'm going to install the transducer. There is a barrell connector on one end and the transducer on the other. How do you route the cable through the hull and helm without cutting and splicing it? Thanks in advance.

timo14

Reaction score
Very Carefully!

Dont you hate a smart a$$?

Not sure what boat you have, but there should be rigging tubes on one side or the other. Getting wires from the transom to the cockpit is generally pretty easy. Follow the steering and control cables coming from the engine... they go through the tubes. You'll have to fish it through which always turns out to be super easy, or an all day event. When you fish it through, it's always a good idea to pull a few extra strings through there so next time you do it you dont have to fish.

Good Luck!

wads33

Reaction score
I'm not worried about snaking it through the tubes, its the transum I'm concerned about. I have a 206G and the existing hole in the transum is small, not big enough for the barrell connector attached to the cable of the transducer. Thats why I was thinking I would have to cut the cable, fish it through the transum and re splice it.

????????

timo14

Reaction score
Ah... Sorry, I misunderstod.

DONT CUT THE WIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to have to drill a larger hole in the transom. Lots of different methods of sealing the hole... but you absolutely do have to seal the hole. Here's what i did and it's still good 3 years later. Overdrill the hole, enough to get the cable through and large enough to get a finger in. Once drilled, smear 5200 in there to seal the wood transom. Let it cure a bit, insert the wire, mount the transducer & wire. My GPS came with an screw on escuchion plate, so what I did is fill the hole with 5200, wiggle the wire a bit to make sure you get good consolidation, screw the plate on so that the extra 5200 squeezes out, then go to the inside and smear more 5200 into the hole from there. Please note that my hole was well above the water-line. If your's is below the waterline, you should probably do something that would be more watertight. I think if you were to search something like "sealing transom holes" you would probably find other methods... most of which would be better than mine.