Installing Swim Ladder - what type of caulking needed?

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What type of material is the OEM swim step? Is it wood core, or plastic throughout?

I’m installing a telescoping ladder to make it easier to climb back aboard after swimming. The ladder kit comes with wood screws, but I’m going to use through bolts. Wondering if I need to worry about caulking. If wood core, what caulking do folks recommend?

It’s a 1997 Gulfstream GT with twin F150’s.

Thanks!

swim ladder mock up.png

Reactions: Fuzz

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I used 3M 4000 as the caulk. It is a little easier to remove than 5200. I thru-bolted and put the largest stainless steel fender washers I could find (I think 1/4" bolt with 1-1/4" OD fender washer). I found that the platform that the previously installed ladder was, had water intrusion. I will need to address the issue at a different time (not right before the Summer). The previous install was bolted and where the bolt was attached (underside of the platform) cracked (as if i was tightened too much). As I dug out as much damp wood as possible, I filled it with epoxy. I added 1/4" starboard to cover the epoxy repair and to span the location of the ladder bolts (plus 3"+ on either side). After making the repair, I used 3M 4000 at the bolt holes and under the ladder area contacting the platform. It should work for this Summer; figure out a better fix later (if needed).

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I used 3M 4000 as the caulk. It is a little easier to remove than 5200. I thru-bolted and put the largest stainless steel fender washers I could find (I think 1/4" bolt with 1-1/4" OD fender washer). I found that the platform that the previously installed ladder was, had water intrusion. I will need to address the issue at a different time (not right before the Summer). The previous install was bolted and where the bolt was attached (underside of the platform) cracked (as if i was tightened too much). As I dug out as much damp wood as possible, I filled it with epoxy. I added 1/4" starboard to cover the epoxy repair and to span the location of the ladder bolts (plus 3"+ on either side). After making the repair, I used 3M 4000 at the bolt holes and under the ladder area contacting the platform. It should work for this Summer; figure out a better fix later (if needed).
Thanks for details

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Over drill the holes (maybe 1/8" larger), tape the bottom of the the holes and fill with epoxy from West System. After the epoxy dries, drill the correct hole size. This will provide a 1/16" epoxy barrier around the core material to help prevent water intrusion. Install the ladder with a caulk like 3M 4000. I would purchase a stainless steel backing plate for the ladder. Usually the ladder manufacturer sells these. This will be stronger than using large fender washers.

Reactions: Fuzz and coldpizza

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Over drill the holes (maybe 1/8" larger), tape the bottom of the the holes and fill with epoxy from West System. After the epoxy dries, drill the correct hole size. This will provide a 1/16" epoxy barrier around the core material to help prevent water intrusion. Install the ladder with a caulk like 3M 4000. I would purchase a stainless steel backing plate for the ladder. Usually the ladder manufacturer sells these. This will be stronger than using large fender washers.
If you can countersink the newly drilled holes, it provides a little space for the 4000 to settle and create a gasket. Can use a larger drill bit on the outside edge to do this. Don’t tighten snug immediately. Let it dry 24 hours for the sealant to dry, gel, create a gasket, then cinch the bolts down tight. Then all the sealant doesn’t squeeze out wet and bonds well. Also use tape around the area to contain the goo, and then use a utility knife to clean up when dry. Use throwaway gloves, can get a little messy. You probably don’t need a full cartridge of 4000, maybe just the smaller tube in the cardboard package for like $15 instead of $30

Reactions: Fuzz and coldpizza

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All true what the others have said how to install. I did the recore on mine, I used the Pro Balsa with Epoxy and anywhere there was a bolt,screw, etc, is filled with epoxy to ensure no water to the balsa core.
Turned out great.

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the great suggestions! I was going to go with the epoxy suggestion, but realized that I already have about 10 other screws/bolts in the swimstep and I'm pretty sure none of those holes were epoxy sealed....so don't overbuild for my new holes. I'll go with counter sink and gasket approach.