Insulating livewll

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was just participating in another post with livewell questions and reminded me to ask this question I've been thinking about.

I would like to remove my livewell and spray Good Stuff type insulation on the bottom and sides of the livewell to keep ice longer. We use this as a cooler when we do a chardonnay run through the harbor in the evening since no one has to get up from their seat to get something out of the box.

I can't think of any down side to doing this. Any thoughts??

dobson_c

Reaction score
I was thinking about this too.

I can't see any harm in this, except that it may be quite difficult to re-install the tank after the insulation is fixed to the livewell shell. If this is the case, the minimal thickness of insulation we'd need to apply may make the project less worthwhile.

If I do take the livewell out (for my other projects), I'll take some measurements and post them here.

richie rich

Reaction score
I'm surprised its not already insulated. I have seen several fishboxes using this stuff...its similar in effect to 2 part bouyancy foam and around the same density, ie 2 lb....the only downside of it is it does not stand up to UV rays, so its best to paint it afterwards if there's going to be any exposure.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There won't be any exposure....it's facing downward towards the bilge. It does work great to put ice and drinks in when not fishing. I'm not sure why they didn't insulate it during manufacturing.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's odd, both boxes are well insulated on the 208.
Have you pulled the inspection plates to check for insulation? Some of us use one of them as a cooler all the time.

EDIT: In re-reading, it looks like you guys are talking about the live well. Yes, Insulating it would be a great idea - there is no downside.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why couldn't you spray the bottom then re-install and do what you can of the sides accessing it from the two side boxes? Just a thought, as this would be better than nothing unless,,,,,,, you have clearance around the livewell opening to get a thin coating on the well before install then thicken it up after it's back in place.

exudedude

Reaction score
All of my boxes are insulated and it's a 1990...check you inspection hatches

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
exudedude said:
All of my boxes are insulated and it's a 1990...check you inspection hatches

Mine's a '00 and the livewell isn't insulated. I'll probably pull the livewell and spray insulation before reinstalling. This box works best as a cooler when we've got people on board and no one has to keep standing up to access the cooler.

This should be a pretty quick project that I'll do sometime when the weather's not as nice.

As a side note to another post regarding insulating the lids of the fishboxes, I did install some rubberized foam on the lid to seal it to the box when closed. This made a pretty tight seal and should help keep the ice longer.