Insurance ? About Value of Boat ??

Roadworker

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a web site i can look up the book value of my boat and motor ?

I am thinking about changing insurance companys and not sure what what boats value is set at
It is a 1991 seafarer but has a 2005 motor?

Any input would be appreciated.
thanks

sickday

Reaction score
Boat U.S. just quoted me $450 ish a year for a standard policy not including their extra tow service plan. (2001 Marlin) They took my word on the value of the boat/motors. Wth Boat U.S. it seems like its all up to all up to you on how much coverage you want?? I went with less so that I can adjust to the new boat payment more easily. I have know ida if this is a good price. Two other companies quoted me twice what Boat U.S> was asking for similar coverage (and less knowledgeable staff).

Anyone else have any feedback on what they are paying for coverage? (standard $300,000 liability coverage, total loss-full replacement, theft of personal items etc)

Roadworker

Reaction score
Right now i have Allstate and i am paying $661.00 and that was last years price.
Think boat was Valued at around 19k new motor 11k and equipmet not sure.
I think everything else is standard 100/300 coverage .
Seems way to high for me ..

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Roadworker - you may want to get another quote -

I am paying $660 too - and agreed total value is 60K with 7K being placed for each motor

Tim

Connorah

Reaction score
definately want an agreed value policy with separate values for electronics and fishing gear... marine insurance is unique in the sense that you can insure for an agreed amount as opposed to like kind and quality.
Although i have always insured my boats in this way, i like the idea of breaking it down to the the per motor value mentioned above.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
You will want to be aware of what equipment is covered by your policy. it is my understanding that most equipment that can be removed will not be covered in the event of theft if it is left on the boat. This is not only fishing equipment but may include things like non-flush mount electronics.

Btw, I have BoatUS which runs a little under $500/year including the unlimited towing, membership, trailering ins.......something like 25k-30k agreed value. Here in FL some major carriers wanted up to 4x as much for the same coverage.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Insurance

I just asked BoatUS for a quote and they were over $900. I have a 97 Marlin with 02 4 strokes valued at $68,000 with $500,000 liabibilty and $500 towing. My current company is Middlesex Mutal out of CT and I am paying $792.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Watch out for the Geico insurance. In VA, they are marketing another company's policy, not one of their own. I went with GEICO when I first got my boat (car and motorcycle are with them) and the policy had several severe limitations like mandatory lay up times, limited coverage area, among others. I didn't learn about the limitations until I received and read the policy and then I went shopping. For me, BoatUS had the best coverage for the best price without any limitations.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Insurance

One thing to watch out for is the survey requirement once a boat is ten years old or older and every 5 years after that. I had this with a 43 Egg Harbor but also with my '97 268 Grady. I'm not sure if there is a size cutoff or it's specific to insurance companies.

I bought a 10 year old boat and wanted the survey anyway. In particular I wanted to be sure the transom was alright and to see what I might have missed. ACE required the survey to bind the policy. I had quotes from others including BoatUS with the same survey requirement.

The insurance companies really want to be sure your not over-insuring and planning a "loss". Within reason you can work with the surveyor to get a value your happy with.