Insurance question

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was reading my insurance policy that came in the mail yesterday and I noticed a clause that said the boat needs to be out of the water and decommissioned between November 1 and May 1. Anyone know if this is a standard line in northern boat policies. I assume it would never be in policy in Florida. I guess I was uninsured during the last week of April after I launched. I will check with my agent next week but was curious how common this is. It is a Travelers Policy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Gieco-Boat/US in NJ. There is no defined Layup period and there was no choice to add one to reduce the premium. However, Ice damage coverage would require an additional charge

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I switched insurance companies s this year over the layup period. I go South each winter and was paying an additional trip charge. As SkunkBoat said Gieco/BoatUS only cares where the boat is home ported and assumes a layup but doesn't enforce it. State Farm does the same. I dropped Smith Merrit/Chub and switched.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
I looked at my Progressive documents and can't find any mention of layup period. It could be there buried in the mumbo-jumbo language. I will have to ask.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Standard language for most policies. It is a bogy that can be adjusted if you want a longer period in the water.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with Skunkboat, Geico does not have one. Specifically asked them last year when I read a similar thread on here about their Marina kicking everyone out at a certain point in year...

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I also have Geico in NJ and just in case you guys don't know, Boat US is owned by them and is included in you policy, or should be

steveditt

Reaction score
I have Travelers I read the policy I didn't see that >

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was reading my insurance policy that came in the mail yesterday and I noticed a clause that said the boat needs to be out of the water and decommissioned between November 1 and May 1. Anyone know if this is a standard line in northern boat policies. I assume it would never be in policy in Florida. I guess I was uninsured during the last week of April after I launched. I will check with my agent next week but was curious how common this is. It is a Travelers Policy.
We write for Travelers, Progressive and Nationwide. And yes many companies have a specified lay up period and a specified geographical area. If you want to venture beyond those set parameters you should read your policy and notify your agent or carrier of such so an addendum could be purchased/added. FYI Nationwide policy is good for anywhere in US or Canadian waters out to 75 nautical miles from the dirt 12 months out of the year and the lay up period with Nationwide is only an assumption that is already calculated into the premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sailfish and Legend

Sailfish

Reaction score
As mentioned, you can buy a rider to extend the season. YOur policy may also prohibit your boat being south of NC/SC/GA after June 1 due to hurricane risk. Again, you can purchase a rider to get coverage.