Insurance

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just started looking into boat insurance. I got a quote from Boat. US. Since I only have a small used boat, my policy quote didn`t seem like much of an expense, but my main concern is hitting something or damaging the motor.

Does anyone have experience with policies and claims for used boat motor coverage ? With a standard policy, if you damage a motor skeg would it be covered or would it be not worth the claim with a 300 deductable.

What about hitting something or being hit while trailering ?

Any information is appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
Many have posted that they are happy with Boat US. I found them expensive and use Progressive instead. A friend of mine had a very good experience with Progressive with a damage claim.
Skeg damage probably wouldn't be wort a claim, but a busted lower unit probably would.
Regarding trailering, you need to ask and verify that your boat policy includes trailering . Many don't and a separate policy/rider is needed.
Also ask your car insurance rep. Trailering may be available under that policy.

seasick

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that you may want to get on the water tow insurance also. You may never need it but you will be really surprised how expensive a water tow can be without insurance