Insurance

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Erie. Agreed value. High school friend is an agent.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use American Markel. Will be bidding my next renewal though. The whole insurance market is going crazy and likely only gets much worse before it gets better.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Use an insurance broker for all insurance. They will find you the best rates, banks provide this service.
I used a broker or agent when I had Traveler's insurance and they were an absolute joke. I had at least 4-5 different issues with them before finally pulling my insurance from Traveler's altogether and just got my own policies online from Progressive. Since I have my homeowners insurance covered in my mortgage, a Progressive agent verified a few things about my house such as the coverages, property taxes and a few other things. But I had an agent for years, of which they caused more issues than not and I honestly wouldn't have to go back to using one.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had Progressive for a while thru USAA. I needed to upgrade when I moved up to the 265 Express. I seem to remember there was an issue with upping the agreed value when I put new motors on it. Or maybe it was their definition of coastal was "not greater than 60 miles".. I need to go past 100(86nm).
After a lot of searching, those two issues cropped up from many insurers except Boat/US-GEICO. So thats who I have. It is as reasonable price as any for an offshore boat since you get the towing included.
Some companies quote lower prices until you specify your agreed value or your range.

There is another thread about this from a few years ago.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/need-insurance-recommendation.35961/post-250216
an update for 2024 BoatUS/Geico has ammended the Cruising limits. Everything in italics is new to 2024 policy.
CRUISING LIMITS: While afloat the insured boat must be confined to the area indicated below:
Coastal and inland waters of a state, territory or possession of the U.S. or territory of Canada,
not to exceed 75 nautical miles
from the coast of either the U.S. or Canada, but not including the territory or territorial waters of any country other than the U.S. or Canada

That puts me past the limit when in the Hudson Canyon (past the tip), even using Long Island as nearest US coast.

That puts Bahamian waters out of coverage for you Florida guys unless FL policies are different.

Oh! but there is a caveat in the Towing section!!!
  1. Coverage Provided
    If an amount is shown for this coverage on the Declarations Page, we will pay for covered services involving an insured boat worldwide, regardless of the cruising limit shown on the Declarations Page. This endorsement is not a waiver of the cruising limit shown on the Declarations Page, which remains in full force and effect with regard to all coverage under this policy except for TOWING AND ASSISTANCE coverage

A note about towing included in the Geico policy. You get Unlimited within TowBoatUS service area only for the insured boat no matter who is driving. The $3000 limit is for any circumstance outside the TowBoatUS service area stated as 25 navigable nautical miles from their facility . I guess they realize that it is in their interest for you to get a tow outside of 25nm or they are on the hook for the agreed value if you decide to swim....
(BTW...if you buy TowBoatUS Unlimited towing separately for $175/yr it covers YOU and any boat you are using....)

There are so many things to read and consider in policies that its really hard to compare and shop.
And they change every year....
2024 Policy went up $100 but deductibles keep going lower.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 8.15.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
2002 330 but the what they will quote in Florida may be different.
I have a 2002 330 in Florida & have used Progressive for past 3-4 years. I had no problem increasing the stated value when I repowered. I insure through Gallagher Insurance Agency