INTERMITANT STEERING LOSS

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
At least once every trip when docking or moving slow from one drifting spot to another steering freezes for about 20 seconds and then comes back up. Not able to turn wheel. Mechanic says hydraulic system is ok. I have been told it may be sticky valves in helm? Anyone encounter the same or have an opinion on what is going on and how to fix?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fluid level at the helm is topped off?

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
yes fluid level topped off. Told by another member on another site "
Sticking check valves in the helm. Looking to confirm

seasick

Reaction score
It could be sticking valves but I am not sure especially if it locks up when you try turning both directions. It could be a problem with the steering cylinder or the motor steering hardware or the motor pivot shaft.
First thing is, do you have power steering or autopilot?

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
yes I have seastar hyraulic and simrad autopilot. Interesting enough I found yesterday the metal bar that connects engines with autopilot broken. Mechanic say simrad will accept virtual connection and said I should try that first. Wheel locks for a few seconds (10-20) and the frees up

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
first things first...

disconnect the cylinder(s) from the motor(s) and turn the motor by hand. If you can't do that easily, your motor is the problem not the steering system.

"the metal bar that connects engines with autopilot broken. Mechanic say simrad will accept virtual connection"
I have no idea what that means.

do you have twins or triples and do you have one cylinder and a tie bar or two or three cylinders?

Are you drifting with the autopilot still engaged? that can lock up things

seasick

Reaction score
first things first...

disconnect the cylinder(s) from the motor(s) and turn the motor by hand. If you can't do that easily, your motor is the problem not the steering system.

"the metal bar that connects engines with autopilot broken. Mechanic say simrad will accept virtual connection"

do you have twins or triples and do you have one cylinder and a tie bar or two or three cylinders?

I don't think that possibility accounts for a rather consistent 20 second freeze. Sounds more like an auto pilot issue.

When the steering 'locks' up, t it hard to turn or impossible to turn?
As mentioned, was the auto pilot engaged?

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
first things first...

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thanks for the comeback. I will upload photo of what's broken hanging re autopilot piece and get further info on "virtual connection of engines to autopilot. When it locks up wheel does not turn at all. Have twin Yamaha 250s. Looks like one cylinder and a tie bar?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Does it lock up ever while at the dock testing it?
Where does it lock? center, pegged to port or stbd?
random position?

If it only locks up when underway, are you using the autopilot at the time? If so, don't use autopilot until it happens when AP has been off.

Is that piece a rudder angle sensor?

Does your AP allow for steering when its on Heading Hold or do you have to go to Standby to steer manually?

I am still of the school that the first thing you do is isolate the problem from the motor. One bolt each and you disconnect the motors from the steering and move them by hand, stop to stop and see if they bind. If good, you ruled that out before going down the hydraulic steering road.

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Never locks up when tied to dock and testing. Locks in Random position New purchase 2011 306 - never eve turn autopilot on and yes that piece seems to be rudder angle sensor

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The three things I did not want to hear!
Gonna be really hard for any of us to help you with text if you can't cause the problem at the dock.
Random...hmmm.. and the wheel is stuck in both directions...and just starts working?or all of your forcing makes a change?
AP never on when this happened. That would make us believe that the AP and the rudder sensor have no connection to the problem...the AP pump is however still connected to the hydraulic lines...

I lean towards the Helm or cylinder but one would think you could cause the problem at the dock by turning lock to lock over and over again.

I'm stuck.

I would still disconnect the motors and test them by hand.

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Gonna be really hard for any of us to help you with text if you can't cause the problem at the dock.
Random...hmmm.. and the wheel is stuck in both directions...and just starts working?or all of your forcing makes a change?
AP never on when this happened. That would make us believe that the AP and the rudder sensor have no connection to the problem...the AP pump is however still connected to the hydraulic lines...

I lean towards the Helm or cylinder but one would think you could cause the problem at the dock by turning lock to lock over and over again.

I'm stuck.

I'm stuck.

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
wheel gets stuck in random positions for 10-20 seconds. I don't believe that my forcing is doing anything. AP never on. Ill have mechanic disconnect motors and try to test them by hand. When you say "motor" , you mean helm steering motor -correct

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
no, physically turn the engines left & right by hand while NOT connected to the steering to see if they are binding. Sometimes the grease dries out and the plastic bushing inside the swivel bracket binds up.
It could be either engine...or both. You can even get a pressure lock if you have added grease and it is not coming out the top & bottom.

Well greased motors, even big ones, should be fairly easy to turn and turn smoothly.

We are trying to rule out the possibilty that its an engine and not the steering that is causing your problem

SteveGw306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Got it- Ill have it checked out and I will post results. Cant thank you enough for you feedback, Steve