Intro and Question: What to look for in a used Seafarer

SBH20Man

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just joined in order to tap into the vast wisdom and experience that is here.

I've been poking around looking at boats for some time (planning to buy one for 15 years, but just haven't been able to "pull the trigger"); now is the time.

I've really fallen in love with the Seafarer 228 - it seems perfect for my needs here in the "south coast" of central California. In less than great weather, the boat will be used to get me and my family/friends up and down the coast for H&L fishing and spearfishing; on good days I hope to get out to the Channel Islands (generally a 50 to 100 mile round trip depending on islands). As some may know, we can get some pretty unpredictable weather out in the channel, and it is very common to slog back home in a big following sea. An enclosed helm is also important, because after spending the day in 60 degree water, the last thing you want is to ride home blowing in the wind and spray. I'd love a pilothouse type boat, but the typical options are either out of my price range or are too heavy to tow with my Toyota Tundra. (I am about a mile from the boat ramp, btw).

Anyway, this will be my first boat, and I've been spending many, many hours researching and studying Whalers, Aquasports, Gradys and others. I've managed to find a couple of Seafarer 226s and 228s that I am interested in and are in my price range. (anyone with feedback on the whaler Outrage/Revenge vs. Aquasport WA vs Seafarer would be welcome!). Because of the price differential between my local area and the rest of the country, I will very likely buy something out of state and have it trucked to me here (prices are often $10,000 more here locally for a 22' boat!!!). This leads me to my question:

Is there a FAQ or thread somewhere here on the site that covers "what to look for when buying a used Seafarer"? If so, I'd be grateful if someone would post it for me. If not, I'd be grateful to anyone replying to this thread with suggestions.

Because I'll be talking to folks across the country, I'll be following a process something like this:

1. Review pictures

2. Email back and forth with some basic questions

3. Telephone interview

4. Engage a survey

5. Fly out and see the boat myself and trial it

6. Pay cash and ship it home if it looks right (I've been looking at U-Ship - any feedback there?)

Since I'm a newbie to owning a boat, and Internet research can only take one so far, I'm looking for help from the community for things to look for in any or all of these steps. Things like:

*Known issues in post-SV2 Seafarers (probably 1992 to 2000)
*Typical modifications to watch out for
*Important maintenance that should be confirmed
*Signs of good or poor ownership

As you can see, I'm a bit of a detail-oriented guy, but part of this is self-preservation; if I get the wrong boat that has too many unforeseen problems, my wife will kill me!! :D

Thanks in advance!

-Brent

3rd Day

Reaction score
Welcome. I can't offer any advice on the 226 or 228, however I would also consider a 232 GT Gulfstream. I've had mine now for a couple of years and absolutly LOVE IT. It is the biggest 23' around and with the curtain enclosure around the helm it would make for a warm and dry ride back to the hill. My boat is a 93 with a pair of 150 Yamahas on a bracket/enclosed transom. Just something to think about. Good Luck with your purchase.

SBH20Man

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Gulfstream - I agree that it looks like a really nice "upgrade" to the space on the Seafarer. My reason for excluding it is the much wider beam and much higher weight. I don't think either I nor my truck are up to the task of towing and launching it. I'm already concerned about the Seafarer 226/228... :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The Gulfstream is a bigger(and better) boat, and your towing concerns are well-founded. If your worried about towing a Seafarer, the Gulf would be too much.
I owned a Seafarer for 10 years. It is a super all-around boat. It rides OK; is pretty stable and can sleep two below. I would run no less than a 225.(Mine was a 250.)
I have never boated in your waters. Since your primarily going offshore I would speculate that if it's mostly ground swell with some wind wave over it you'd be alrite. The Seafarer gets uncomfortable in wind-driven seas that exceed 2 ft. You'll take spray if they get past 3ft. so your enclosure is a good idea.
You should get around a 30MPH cruise speed and top out mid-40's. That is on the few days you can open it up. I',m not sure of your MPG.Probably around 3 I would think.
Great thing to look forward to..Good Luck!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum....

I've had both a 226 and 228; they are great boats. One of the great things about this forum is if you find one, and a member is nearby, I am sure that person would be happy to look at it for you. (I know I would.)

A survey is good, but after you've thrown every switch and tried out all the electronics, its time to do two things. First, look in the bilge. Bilge cleaning is a nuisance. Those who clean them generally take better care of their boats and equipment. The same thing goes for the wiring. If the current owner has not taken his time and done it neatly, it may be a harbinger of how he has treated the boat.

Depending on prop, and whether you get an F225 or F250, cruise should be 30-31 and top end about 42-43. Hardtop adds drag and weight and will reduce the top end, as does bottom paint.

Good luck with your search.....

SBH20Man

Reaction score
Thanks Parthery! I've always heard great things about Gradys, so I'm excited about the possibility of owning one and becoming a member of the group!

Parthery said:
I've had both a 226 and 228; they are great boats. One of the great things about this forum is if you find one, and a member is nearby, I am sure that person would be happy to look at it for you. (I know I would.)

Boat is about 30 mi west of Houston. Just posted another thread looking for a surveyor. :)

Parthery said:
A survey is good, but after you've thrown every switch and tried out all the electronics, its time to do two things. First, look in the bilge. Bilge cleaning is a nuisance. Those who clean them generally take better care of their boats and equipment. The same thing goes for the wiring. If the current owner has not taken his time and done it neatly, it may be a harbinger of how he has treated the boat.

The boat is a '95 and according to the onboard fuel managament system has a total of 370 hours on her. The gel coat, upholstery, and everything look really clean from the pictures. Always stored indoors. Pictures of the fittings and deck areas don't show any signs of rust, weeping, or neglect. Transom area is clean and organized. Helm looks original; in fact I think the electronics are all original (radar, FF, plotter) from mid-90's. No mickey mouse wiring or accessories to deal with that I can see. (Been there, done that, won't do it again!)

Parthery said:
Depending on prop, and whether you get an F225 or F250, cruise should be 30-31 and top end about 42-43. Hardtop adds drag and weight and will reduce the top end, as does bottom paint.

Has a 225 Ocean Runner ('99) and a '99 15 hp kicker. Owner says average about 2mpg cruising, which is a bit on the low side, but I know those ocean runners tend to be bullet proof but thirsty. Oh, and no bottom paint - original gel coat, and it looks nice and glossy. :D

Thanks again for the info! -Brent

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Brent,
I have owned a 228 for just under a year. Compared to bigger Gradys its ride is not the same, but for a 22 footer, it rides great for a 22. I haved fished her in 3 to 4 swells and wind driven 2 to 3s. Depending how hard you push it , the ride obviously is either pleasant or not, also depends on the boats orientation to seas too.

I once had a 1998 johnson ocean pro...it was a gas hog and started fine, then after it got hot, it was a pain in the butt to start. Omc went under in 1998 and bombardier bought them. I am not a fan of the rude built in this time frame.

I prefer the full stern of the 228 over the 226. We have a bracketed motor and full swim platform...great for diving.

Something fishy to me on the hour meter...it means the boat is averaging 30.7 hours a year if I am doing my math right? Why have a boat if you only 30 hours a year?

Have a mechanic check it, see if you run it cold and for an hour or so until hot. Turn it off, wait 20 minutes and see how it starts.

Check the bilge, check under the bow storage areas and so forth. Look for soft spots in the floor, better yet if you can afford to have it surveyed, do that.

With an F250 we get at best 3.1 mpg, average 2.8

Good luck

SBH20Man

Reaction score
Thanks Smoky!

SmokyMtnGrady said:
. Depending how hard you push it , the ride obviously is either pleasant or not, also depends on the boats orientation to seas too.

Big question in my mind is how well mannered the 228G is in a moderate following sea - let's say 2'-4' wind swell? A big deal around here that we talk about is how well a boat "surfs" the waves on the way home (literally). Our trips back from the islands when the weather turns suddenly can get hairy, the manners a small boat has can make the difference between having an "uncomfortable" trip home and a downright terrifying one. A friend of mine had a 24' Skippy FB and after one such trip home, he immediately sold the boat because of how badly it scared him. That being said, my purpose for this boat will only be to take it to the islands on very predictable fair weather days. But as you know, you can never be 100% sure what will happen.

SmokyMtnGrady said:
I once had a 1998 johnson ocean pro...it was a gas hog and started fine, then after it got hot, it was a pain in the butt to start. Omc went under in 1998 and bombardier bought them. I am not a fan of the rude built in this time frame.

So you are saying that there is a big difference in the post-'98 models? When repowering with a four stroke, does one have to swap out all the controls or just the motor? I ask because from time to time I see decent deals on 4-strokers that are just a couple of years old, and I could budget for a replacement motor, but doubling my investment in the boat by completely re-powering with new (and new controls, etc) probably won't ever happen.

SmokyMtnGrady said:
Something fishy to me on the hour meter...it means the boat is averaging 30.7 hours a year if I am doing my math right? Why have a boat if you only 30 hours a year?

Apparently it saw very little use by the original owner. My guess is that it saw more use than that for the 6 years leading up the the replacement of the motor in 2001 and that this is the hours since then. Still very low. My understanding is that those Ocean Runners are good for 1,000 to 3,000 hours if properly maintained.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In the 10 years I had my Seafarer, I ran it thru many following sea situations on Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. Fresh water waves are closer together than their saltwater counterparts. Even in these conditions, the Seafarer was stable and dry.
I could surf downsea in seas up to 5 foot no problem. As long as I used common sense and didn't plow hard into the next wave it was great. The bow would part the seas and the boat would stay dry. Plus it didn't jerk suddenly to port or starboard going into the next wave. There was never any fear of pitchpoling as long as I remained alert.
Oh, and my boat,motor and tandem painted trailer weighed around 5800lbs. with 1/2 tank of fuel and full gear.

hangman1176

Reaction score

Had a '90 25-5 Sailfish with twin 200's. Ran like a top. Never had an issue but in following seas I never became comfortable with it. Rear end seamed heavy under 25kts. Bought a 20-4 (too small) and after a season went back to my original first boat size 22'. Bought a 22-8 and cannot complain about nothing (other than a thru-hull fitting). My brothers each had the 23 gulf so i have a little knowledge in the way the gradys ride. Set up is perfect for 3 people. Small enough to throw around on your own, big enough to play when your schedule only allows. IMOP I would stick with yammy.

GOOD LUCK!!

SBH20Man

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the boat in Houston I had my eye on sold over the weekend, so if anyone has a line on another post-'92 228, please let me know.

In the mean time, I am continuing my research!

-Brent

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sorry about the boat selling in Houston.

I think any boat under 25 feet should be piloted with some understanding and caution in a 4 foot following sea. The period of the wave is important too plus if you got 4 foot swells with white cap choppy garbage wate on top of it. The longer the period the better the ride, but I suspect you know these things anway. I have been in 3-4 stuff off of the Florida Panhandle last summer while fishing offshore. She handled it well, but you just cant put the throttle down and drive like you are on a glassy sea. The bigger the boat, the fewer days you gotta pick in terms of weather.

OMC was under some financial distress in the 97-98 time frame if not before that. I have no measurable data to back this up, but the company was not healthy then and my original Johnson Ocean Pro was carbed and it had some issues starting hot or warm. I initially tried to rouble shoot it and clean the carbs and do that stuff before I took it an authorized OMC service center and they still could not fix the issue even after they duplicated it in the field. A fuel injected 2 stroke would be better than those carbuerated 2 strokes anyday. I would encourage you to find one with a fuel injected motor at least and my vote would be a Yammaha, Suzuki or Honda.

SBH20Man

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I would encourage you to find one with a fuel injected motor at least and my vote would be a Yammaha, Suzuki or Honda.

Looks like I'll have the chance to find one now. :roll:

What about the Volvo/Penta 5.7L inboards? I notice they only offer the new boats with outboards, so I'm wondering if that is due to better handling, or that its just cheaper/easier to build them with an outboard?

Everything happens for a reason, and I'm old enough now that I don't get in too much of a hurry about buying something I'm excited about. The right boat will come in time; I've never regretted taking my time on something so important... :D