Intro/Overnighter Modifications

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Hello List,

My father and I just bought a 1990 20' Overnighter with a 2005 Mercury 150. Home port will be Northport, NY on the north shore of Long Island. Weare psyched after being out of boating for about 15 years.

We are making our to-do list for the next few months. This forum has already answered a ton of our questions with the many helpful threads. Hopefully some of you can chime in with your vast experience on topics that I haven't seen directly answered by older threads.

Hardtop- anyone put one on their 20'? Pitfalls, pointers, obstacles? Can you send me pics, either here or offline (my email address is bryan3536 @ gmail dot com)? Want one for sun cover and to extend our season a bit.

Carpeting <gasp> - Most of you are probably fisherman so this suggestion might sound crazy to you, but our boat is going to be a family cruiser first and only an occasional fisherman. We always had snap down carpeting on our prior boats, and like it - what can I say, it is nice on bare feet. Anyway, anyone do this? I am thinking of a two-piece design, one for the helm area and one for the cockpit, so I can remove the latter and store it in the cabin while on a mooring. Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Replacement of Center Floor Hatch - the hull and deck are rock solid, with the exception of the large center hatch in the cockpit covering the fuel tank, which sags when my svelte 230lbs walks over it. Going to have the yard reinforce or completely replace it. Anyone else do this? Any issues, etc.?

Cushions - We are doing what we can to salvage cushions - most appear to be in great shape. However, the boat doesnt appear to have changed much in 20 years, and we but are wondering whether current (or newer model used) "Adventure" cushions (and hatches, for that matter) fit the older models of the Overnighter. Anyone know the answer to this? Have a call in to GW on this.

Gauges - we have the original gauge configuration. The two left-bottom row gauges are "empty." anyone know what went there from factory? We are assuming there was an option not on our boat which made use of these.

Many thanks!!

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Well, already got one answer from GW - there are subtle changes to the Overnighter/Adventure that changed the sizes of cushions, etc. They referred us to local dealer. Love to hear responses on other questions. Thanks again!

-Bryan

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
your going to need to pull that tank cover off and remove the rotted wood, recore and glass over. it will only get worse and eventyally you will crack the covers skin.
There are tons of threads here ho to do it. easy to do and inexpensive repair.

Just make sure you seal it back up so it does not get rotted again. lookup posts form cdwood, he did most of the stuff your wanting to do.

Have fun

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - I will check for those posts. End of the day, we might have a professional do the work in the offseason, as it is such a high-traffic area and we don't want to screw it up.

iavaronej

Reaction score
I'm on the the "same boat" as you, live in Long Island, and recently purchased a 1989 Overnighter w/ an 04' yamaha.
I have the same problem as you with my center access to the fuel tank. I am planning on reenforcing the panel this winter.

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Great. Saw your other posting, seems like we have a lot of the same work ahead. I am going to go down to the boat this weekend, remove the hatch, and take it to a fabricator for an estimate - I know you said you are going to do the work yourself, but I'll tell you what he is charging if you are interested. I have a number of other, smaller, projects that I want to do myself and will take up plenty of time (cleaning/replacing teak accents in cabin, cabin doors, replacing electronics, sealing various holes from "old" electronics, removing/replacing rod holders, cleaning/repairing/replacing canvas, and thinking of putting on a hard top). This bit of work is a little out of my comfort zone, so I am going to send it to a pro. Of course, the next question is whether i need to replace my tank . . .