Inverter for Journey 258

reelbeliever

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about an inverter for my Journey 258. I would use it for a coffee pot, charging cell phone, other small things. Coffee pot uses 550 watts according to the UL label.

I would like to mount it to the cabin bulkhead. Might be a long run for battery cable though. I don't see where there was a factory option for it that I could copy.

Has anyone else done this? If so how long was the run? Is there a better place to mount it that still keeps it convenient to use?

Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Read this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19533&p=120364&hilit=inverter#p120364

Find some inverter installation manuals online. Read them carefully. All will tell you that the DC cable runs have to be as short as possible.

Our Prowatt 1000 inverter is mounted inside the transom and has been working great for quite a few years already.

Outlets, microwave, etc.

Brian

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have shore power, install the inverter as close to batteries as possible, then rig a cable with a male plug on one end to plug in the interter and on the other end a female 20 or 30 amp plug to match your shore power plug on your boat and simply connect it to it. This is the safest way also to NOT be on shore power AND inverter power at the same time. Good luck with your project and post some pictures.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
If you have shore power, install the inverter as close to batteries as possible, then rig a cable with a male plug on one end to plug in the interter and on the other end a female 20 or 30 amp plug to match your shore power plug on your boat and simply connect it to it. This is the safest way also to NOT be on shore power AND inverter power at the same time. Good luck with your project and post some pictures.

I concur with the above.

The ProWatt 1000 that I installed on our Islander has a plug-in connection, but can also be hard-wired. I bought a 12-foot shore power cord, cut off the male end, routed the cable from under the coaming above the shore power inlet to inside the transom where the inverter was mounted and hard-wired it to the inverter. No risk of the plug getting loose, or the connections corroding.

As NEM noted, this is a "sailor-proof" method to prevent paralleling the inverter with shore power.

Brian