Inverter for Marlin

downtown

Reaction score
1992 Marlin. Would like to put an inverter on board to power cell phones, radios, hot pot for coffee/tea.

Any suggestions on size, set-up? I have a charger and four batteries.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a ProWatt 1KW inverter on our Islander a number of years ago. Use it to run the microwave, portable tools, etc.

Location is one key issue, as the DC cables will be carrying a LOT of current and need to kept as short as possible. I mounted the inverter up inside the transom, so my cables are as short as possible.

You will also need a dedicated breaker on the DC side. I used a BlueSea Systems 150-amp surface mount breaker, also mounted aft.

You will either have to plug an extension cord into the inverter to power the accessories desired, or you will have to provide a more permanent interface between the inverter and the AC distribution system on the boat. We use a 12-ft shore power cord, hard-connected to the inverter, and plugged into the shore power inlet box. This allows me to use outlets, etc on the boat. It also provides the critical interface so that I can not be on shore power and the inverter at the same time.

If you have a generator then you will have to be very careful with regard to a "positive disconnect" between the inverter, the generator, and shore power. As you would already have this between SP and the generator, you could use my approach with connecting the inverter output to the SP inlet box.

Good luck,
Brian

tiderunner

Reaction score
I have one in mine 1000w it is mounted in the battery compartment on the transom just above the 50A circuit breaker just to the left of the Battery switches I have a pic of it. I will put up here if I can remember how .

figured it out . This an old pic from when I first bought the boat. Since then I have compleatly ripped out all of the defunked wiring and started over. It was wired right wiring wise but nowhere neat enough for my standards

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... 000031.jpg