Inverter on a 265express

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Are there any 265 express owners out there who have installed or have a inverter on their boat? Im thinking of installing one on my 265, for a variety of reasons. Im looking for ideas and opinions on what kind and where to place it on the boat. My boat currently has a 3 battery system. One for each engine and a house battery. I was thinking of adding a second house battery, and using the inverter off the house battery(s). Any feedback would be great. thanks
damian

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a ProWatt 1000 inverter on our boat quite a few years ago. It is up inside the transom, so the DC cable runs are as short as possible. I hard-wired the output to a short shore power cable that I can plug in to the regular shore power inlet. This automatically prevents being on shore power and the inverter at the same time.

We also have dedicated batteries for each engine, and the house bank is two dual-purpose batteries in parallel.

The original purpose was to power the microwave oven when underway, to heat up drinks and food on cold days. It meets that need well, and has also come in handy when I need to run a 120VAC power tool on the boat.

Please contact me if you want additional information.

Brian

seasick

Reaction score
An inverter is not a substitute for a genset if that is what you need. For example, running a small microwave for a few minutes at a time is a lot different than running a continuous load device like an AC or the like.
There is no magic in power out and power in. To get 1000 watts out you need 1000 plus watts input. On a 12 volt system, that is a tad over 80 amps. That means you need large size cables and you can run down a battery in a short time.
On the other hand, if you want to power a small 110 volt device, a stereo, radio, small TV etc. an inverter may be the more economical approach.
So identify the end goal and go from there.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My use would be very similar to Brians above. Basically for the few times that I want to run the microwave, outlets etc. I dont need to run anything continuously. If I did I would just use my portable generator. I was mainly interested if any one with a similar boat(265) has installed one, and where they installed it. there are a couple of locations that may work, Just wondering where everyone else has theirs.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I mounted a small 400 watt in the cabin next to the sink.

This is a photo of the install

Boat7.jpg

You need to be careful on wire sizing for these items, and as mentioned keep the runs as short as possible.

My wire length is about 20 feet, and I used 10 gauge MARINE wire for a 400 watt inverter.

It is worth mentioning that I have added a fourth battery and have it set up on three zones, two batteries for house and starboard motor, one battery for port motor and an isolated battery as a spare. I have switches in place so I can start any motor with any battery.

Now keep in mind, 400 watts is not alot. It runs the computer, a TV w/ xbox, charges cell phones.

Tim

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Tim, I cannot see it in the picture. Do you have any others? One of the places I was considering mounting it would be on the foward side of the cabinet in your pic. However I was concerned about the long wire run to the batteries in the transom. especially because I was thinking of putting in a larger 1000w or larger unit.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Another alternative is to buy a Honda Generator as others have done (~$1K). The EU2000 is a good unit and not that heavy to move around. Just be careful of the oderless exhaust fumes. When I had my 265, we strapped the Honda on the swim step to ensure the exhaust was outside of the gunnel and downwind (when on the hook). Just another way of getting power on your boat. Plus, you could use it when the next Hurricane hits!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
thanks for the second pic. That was one of the places I was thinking about. That way I would have easy access to the outlets, when I needed them. Plus the microwave is right there. Its just a long run from the battery. I wish there was more room in the transom to mount it there.

I have a small 2000w generac suitcase generator. I could use it, I just think its overkill for my needs. I'm looking for something thats mounted in the boat. I don't want to have to transport more gear back and forth. What I'm looking to accomplish is just to have occassional use of the microwave, or outlets. I don't have a/c, or anything that runs continously.

seasick

Reaction score
drbatts said:
thanks for the second pic. That was one of the places I was thinking about. That way I would have easy access to the outlets, when I needed them. Plus the microwave is right there. Its just a long run from the battery. I wish there was more room in the transom to mount it there.

I have a small 2000w generac suitcase generator. I could use it, I just think its overkill for my needs. I'm looking for something thats mounted in the boat. I don't want to have to transport more gear back and forth. What I'm looking to accomplish is just to have occassional use of the microwave, or outlets. I don't have a/c, or anything that runs continously.

A typical mid sized microwave uses about 800 watts. 400 watts is pretty small.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
seasick said:
400 watts is pretty small.

This is a very true point.

I also think mine is rated 400 peak, 300 watt continuous.

Like I said, TV, Xbox, computer, cell phones, that size of power draw!

Good luck!

Tim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Xantrex, maker of the ProWatt inverters, recommends a size 0 cable with a maximum length of six (6) feet. If you mount the inverter in the cabin then you would have to go to 4/0 cable for the DC run, to have the same voltage drop with 100amps running through that cable. See chart on page 10: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Po...-0529-01-01_Rev-B(PROWatt SW Inverter NA).pdf

Check the installation manuals for other inverter brands and you will see the same thing.

The DC cable runs have to be as short as possible. The output AC cable runs don't have any length restrictions.