Inverter wiring

Cloudnine9

Reaction score
I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter that was in the boat when I bought it. It is connected directly to my port battery thru a 105Amp circuit breaker. Does anyone know: If I parallel both port and starboard batteries thru the battery switches, would I in fact be drawing current from both batteries to feed the inverter?

seasick

Reaction score
Cloudnine9 said:
I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter that was in the boat when I bought it. It is connected directly to my port battery thru a 105Amp circuit breaker. Does anyone know: If I parallel both port and starboard batteries thru the battery switches, would I in fact be drawing current from both batteries to feed the inverter?
In theory yes, but the issue is if the battery characteristics and charge states are different. In that case one battery will 'charge' the second or looking at it another way, one battery will drain the other.

freddy063

Reaction score
how many battery do you have? It is always a good idea to try to keep the starting batteries apart from the house batteries. what do you use the invertor for? You need a transfer switch installed to disconnect the inverter when on shore power?there are many ways to skin a cat, I found that just about everything needed on the boat come in the DC flavor, Microwave don't but that's about the only thing we used, short useage for short time.