NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
IMAG0812_zpsa8099a19.jpg

IMAG0809_zpsfc453fad.jpg
IMAG0805_zps39ee17ac.jpg
IMAG0806_zps304b72e2.jpg

I searched and could not find exactly what I wanted that would fit my helm set up. What I did is bought a Innovative Secure iPad IOP204 Holder with Wall Mount. I liked the hardware from pictures I could see online and liked the fact it was lockable. When i received the mount I really liked the hardware, it has an allen wrench for adjustable tension for the tilt and swing. It can be tightened easily so it will stay put, or loosened and moderate force being able to tilt and swing the screen. The plastic case it came with was not going to work. It is just too difficult to remove the ipad from the case and it also doesn't protect the screen. Online I could not find a better solution for my helm so I kept it and started looking for ways to make it work. I ended up getting an Otter Box defender series Ipad case and mounting it straight to the other mount. I just drilled some holes in the back of the plastic otter box case and secured it with locking nuts. The GP32 is my back up GPS so having it covered with the ipad was not an issue, however being able to swing the ipad out of the way incase it was needed for navigation was necessary.
I originally started the project to break free of my sirius satellite subscription. I only use it for SST charts and the monthly fee was just annoying to me. I know out of all the expenses associated with boating I'm annoyed with a $40/month subscription fee. I have yet to find a SST chart I can see my position overlaid to but I know its possible and will come across one soon. What I have discovered this thing can do is pretty cool and believe is the future of MFD's.
What is does on the boat Currently
1) Connects to my stereo via bluetooth, plays music and movies.
2) Navionics app. Can plan your day from your living room. Route creation, very simple with the touch screen. I was hoping to have the offshore bottom contour maps for the app but its not yet available. I did contact Navionics about that and they claim the next version WILL have that map as an option. We will see.
3) Back up GPS
4) Its cool :mrgreen:
I just put it in and will update my experience with having this set up. I am hoping more apps come available and open up new possibilities for what can be done. Right now it's just cool, doesn't really do anything I could not have done without it.

My Ipad is a Ipad 2 wifi only, I purchased a Garmin GLO online and connect to it via bluetooth. My position is spot on the Navionics charts and seems as accurate as the Furuno MFD12.
Here are some links to the products I used
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GLO.aspx?gclid=CLG11_y2sbQCFQcHnQodkgIApA
http://www.thehumansolution.com/innovative-secure-ipad-holder-with-wall-mount.html
http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-2-Defender-Series-Case/APL2-IPAD2-D9-E4OTR_A,default,pd.html

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I got to use the ipad for the first time fishing yesterday.
First the Good:
-I signed up for ripcharts and used their SST chart to navigate offshore. They don't have an app, you just pull up their web page when you have wifi and then your position is displayed over the chart, turn off wifi/3G and thats it. Its very nice and this liberates me from sirius, score! They have other charts too that help with fishing, the chlorophyll and altimetry can be used too.
-The setup I had for mounting I could not be happier with. You can tilt and turn the screen easily yet doesn't budge running, even with some choppy seas.
-I only used the navionics app once, back inshore. The app works well with charts comparable to the MFDs charts and refreshes plenty fast enough to navigate. If you wanted you could use this to navigate and your MFD to do something else.

The not so good-
-The display is readable under the hardtop but definitely not bright enough to be primary navigation device, a caveat to that is I do not have any antiglare screen but doubt it would help much under the hardtop. You can read it fine it's just not as easy as the MFD's.
-If you don't set the right zoom on the ripcharts before you lose wifi or cell signal trying to zoom or change the viewable area, you can lose your data on the screen. This only happened when I was testing it inshore so I never changed the viewable area offshore and never had a problem.
-You need a power source for the ipad. It did last 10 hours of continuous run time but if you were using it to play music or anything else, you would run out of battery.
-Having the Garmin glo as a separate piece is just a hassle. It works well, but you have to remember to take it with you to charge and obviously take care it doesn't get wet. I put mine under the glass at the helm and never had an issue.
-Bluetooth doesn't work for the stereo. To much interference to get a clear signal to the radio. Im just going to run a aux cable, not a huge deal but was hoping to not have to use one.

Overall, I like having it. I will continue to use it offshore and know I will find more uses for it especially in unfamiliar waters :goodjob .

Nick