Is bigger really better?

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2012 Freedom 275. Love the boat!!! We boat out of Osterville MA, which is the south side of Cape Cod. It seems like it is always windy and always rough in Nantucket and Vinyard sound. I have started to look at bigger boats, not for this year but maybe next?. My thoughts are a Freedom 307 might be a perfect size. A little longer but a wider beam I think will ride that much nicer in the slop. My Question is what might I regret by getting a bigger boat? Slip costs will go up, I guess most costs will go up actually LOL! Give me your thoughts please. We use the boat mostly for cruising, some fishing, anchoring and swimming, cruise to the Vinyard etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4510.jpg
    IMG_4510.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So much depends on how far you have to go. Slow it down and make the ride bearable. At 15 knots the waves will start to whitecap. If you have strong current like we have in Delaware bay it can get real nasty. To go to the old grounds on Delaware side (20 miles) from Cape May can be a terrible ride on a Southerly swell. A longer boat helps, finer entry helps but a wider boat doesn't. I doubt the difference between a 27' and a 31' will be much different. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCW and reelserious

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
This is not exactly an apples to apples comparison but I went from a 265 to a 305 a few years ago. With the bigger boat I can cruise through bigger seas at higher speeds. The bigger heavier boat just plows through the long island sound chop better. That being said the bigger boat also has more systems to maintain. One of which is the HVAC which is absolutely great on a hot summer day and cold fall morning. I now have generator that needs servicing and winterization. Other costs have gone up are fuel costs with the bigger boat, transient docking fees when we go away for the weekend. Insurance has also gone up quite a bit on the larger newer boat. Other silly things like its a bigger area to wax and detail in the spring, a little more area to bottom paint. More cabin amenities to consider like bedding, and other "domestic" type things for the cabin since we spend more time staying on the boat on weekends etc. Overall there is not a significant increase in ownership costs as it is still a twin outboard powered boat except for the increase in insurance, fuel burn and winter storage. In addition with the 30ft size I'm still able to handle the boat single handed fairly easily.

Reactions: frankm and SCW

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Its gonna be windy and wet on a bow rider no matter how big it is...get an Express.;)
Hey! That's Dual Console to you buddy! LOL! Actually not concerned with the wind in my face, I have full curtains so with window and door closed it is dry and comfortable. I am more concerned with the ride and usability.

Fishtales

Reaction score
bigger is bigger and more money. you may have expanded use cases which may be worth paying for. i think you should buy what you need, can afford and want.

Reactions: SCW

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I think the ride will improve with the size and the weight in the afternoon sound chop. 30 feet is great size for being bigger but most can still handle the boat on their own. See if you can get a test drive or go out with someone with a similar size boat. I had a 30 foot marlin for 7 years and loved it. I am now downsizing to a 25 foot boat with no regrets. Just be honest with yourself on how you will use it and how often. Good Luck

Fishtales

Reaction score
Larger boats do give you a lot more options (# people, handing in the slop, distance from port and overnight comfort) that you don't get in smaller boats. There are drawbacks (ride is a big boat ride, more complexity in systems, engine and maintenance) but I agree with above. Once you pass the 30' mark, it really comes down to use cases - will you take advantage of them and do you have enough money to throw at it so you are not a slave to maintenance and repairs.