Is it common for 208 Adventurers not to hold a true line?

mwilling

Reaction score
I am a Boston Whaler Montauk owner looking to move up to a 208 Adventurer. I tested my first 208 today in choppy water and a pretty brisk cross wind. I could not keep the boat on a true heading often having to swing the wheel back and forth 180 degrees to stay on heading. I was on a medium plane with the trim tabs set to counteract the wind. Is this common for the type of hull found in a GW 208? Does this sound more like a steering issue? Or could this simply be because of the higher wind profile for this style of boat compared to my Montauk? The boat had the power assist steering. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
Re: Is it common for 208 Adventurers not to hold a true line

I have never experienced a big issue with my 208. When properly trimmed out on plane she stays on course except for the normal corrections ( not 180 degrees ) due to quartering seas and strong cross winds. I have a hardtop Tee top on my 208 and with the enclosures on, the wind can catch it like a sail and move me off course but have that issue with other vessels also . You may have been out on a more windy, rough day than what I am referring too. I know 1 thing. She can take whole lot more than my old bones can !

seasick

Reaction score

I do not have this issue on my 208 either. You may have been over compensating. In addition, as mentioned, that hull will bow steer depending on seas and trim. It may just be a question of getting used to a vessel that handles differently than the Whaler.
You didn't state if the boat had a hardtop or if if had canvas up. Those can make a big difference in winds since the hull is relatively light. If the boat bow steers which it may have been doing, you either have to trim down the bow to plow into the chop or if the chop is not too bad, trim up to keep the keel of the bow above the chop.
You say the boat has power assisted steering and that is a surprise. Manual steering and hydraulic steering ( for larger motors) are common but not power assisted. That said, if the boat is an earlier than 2006 ( I might have the year off a bit) and has a 4 stroke motor, the trim and balance of the boat will not be optimal due to the extra weight. Later model 208 have weight added to the bow to compensate for the extra weight of a 4s on the transom.

Graybeard

Reaction score

you might want to look at the trim tab on the outboard. On my old boat it got loose and made the boat wander all over the place.