Is Ring Free additive effective in 4 stroke engines?

bbtopcat1

Reaction score
Yamaha 4 stroke F115 Owner's Manual recommends RIng Free to help keep cylinders clean. Any testimonial evidence supporting OR not supporting this recommendation? I've heard Ring Free is effective in keeping 2 stroke engines cylinders clean, BUT not necessariily of added value in 4 strokes?

seasick

Reaction score
bbtopcat1 said:
Yamaha 4 stroke F115 Owner's Manual recommends RIng Free to help keep cylinders clean. Any testimonial evidence supporting OR not supporting this recommendation? I've heard Ring Free is effective in keeping 2 stroke engines cylinders clean, BUT not necessariily of added value in 4 strokes?
If Yamaha recommends its use, I would do so. Just beacsue the motor is 4 stroke doen't mean that carbon can't build up.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With modern fuel injection on a properly maintained 4 stroke I can't see carbon being an issue but.... if you have an issue under warranty and Yamaha can prove you didn't use it and can make a case saying the lack of ringfree caused the problem you're going to have problems.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you use what they call Top Tier gasoline, you probably don't need to use Ringfree. Yamaha recommends it as insurance against low quality fuel.

I've done a good bit of research on fuel additives over the years. Ringfree and Mercury Quickleen (the same product) are concentrated solutions of polyetheramine (PEA) derivatives. It's basically the same stuff as Chevron Techron and is an additive in most Top Tier brand gasolines. It works by modifying the structure of the deposits that form in the fuel system, combustion chamber, and ring lands. The softened deposits are blown out with the exhaust. Over time, PEA can remove existing deposits, but it often takes a higher dosage to do this. Chevron (who makes Ringfree) told me that the concentration of PEA in fuel treated with the maintenance dose of Ringfree is about the same that is normally found in Chevron and Texaco motor fuel.

I've seen the results of low grade fuel on an outboard, but I have to say only once. My buddy had a Honda that had low compression in one cylinder. We found that we couldn't get the valve to close by adjusting the lash. We expected major piston damage when we pulled the head, but what we found was a huge amount of deposits on the intake valves and a lesser amount on the exhaust valves. He routinely used an off brand gasoline. After talking to Honda, we were told to just do a valve job and to run nothing but Chevron fuel. The compression came back to specks and that engine is still running fine 10 years later.

I now use Ringfree with every tank since I am running an off brand non-ethanol fuel that is available at the marina. It's good insurance.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Valvetec sells a product called Carbon Free that is supposed to do the same thing as Ringfree. However, it is an entirely different chemistry that uses solvents to remove deposits. IMO, this is a low tech solution. Like Seafoam, it might be useful as a concentrated shock treatment to remove deposits. But it's hard to understand how it would do much good at the 12 oz per 60 gallon maintenance dosage. It also contains isopropanol, which is not recommend by engine manufacturers since it can increase the amount of alcohol in the fuel to greater than the 10% limit.

Ringfree and Techron are now marketed as Ringfree Plus and Techron Plus. The plus stands for a specific type of inhibitor that protects metal surfaces from ethanol fuel related corrosion. This is a good thing for outboards since moist E10 sometimes cause a white powdery precipitate from forming in the carbs and VST tanks that are located downstream of the major water separator/fuel filters.

PEA is a proven technology for preventing and removing engine deposits with few or no side effects. For everything else out there, you have to take the manufacturer's word that it will work. The industry seems to be doing everything possible to suppress the publication of comparative test data by independent labs.