Is the Yamaha Gauge needed?

Sea Shift

Reaction score
So bear with me for a minute.........One of my Yamaha Speedo gauges has become unreadable. I have seen that you can send them in to refurbish possibly. However my question is this. Do I really need it (the gauge) on my dash? I have twin 2009 F250's. But I have also since wired each motor to the NMEA 2000 system so they actually read on one of my two MFD's (Simrad ). For that matter it doesn't seem like i need the Tach gauge either at this point? Well now that I type that it looks like I might need to verify the Temp sensor is reading on the MFD also. Has anyone else done something like this?

Untitled.pngUnti2tled.png

seasick

Reaction score
As long as you can display the more important info such as fuel level on your MFD, you do not need the gauge. Note that the speedo gauge gets speed info from the pitot sensor and not GPS. Your GPS is probably more accurate.

In general you do not need the tach either but make sure that your MFD displays the temp and oil alarms. That info is important

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Unless you have YDIS the gauges are the only way to reset your maintenance intervals.

seasick

Reaction score

Sea Shift

Reaction score
As long as you can display the more important info such as fuel level on your MFD, you do not need the gauge. Note that the speedo gauge gets speed info from the pitot sensor and not GPS. Your GPS is probably more accurate.

In general you do not need the tach either but make sure that your MFD displays the temp and oil alarms. That info is important
Thats kinda what I was thinking. I have GPS speed, fuel levels and tach via NMEA. The only thing I need to veryify is the temp and alarms. For that matter I could re-locate those gauges and gain back some dash space. Maybe even add a small display in that area. Thanks for the input.