Is There a Substitute for Ring Free?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this has been discussed a lot. But possibly over the last few years a new product hit the market place? Something easier to find than Ring Free? I don't consider Techron a substitute, it is just a general fuel system cleaner.

seasick

Reaction score
This season I am trying a product from Startron that is 'supposed' to do the same thing as Ringfree. It is called Star Tron Ring Clean. I really won't know for a while though ( I hope) how it is working; I just added my first dose. The price for Ringfree is ridiculous.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There are a bunch of "like" products out there. Some are cheaper some not:
Startron, Stabil, Seafoam, Valvetect and every engine manufacturer has theirs.

The GW dealer where I store my boat adds Ringfree to the fuel at the pump. I usually put a quart of ring free in each 150g tank at the beginning of the season and then fill it at the dealer.
Once used, I only treat 2 times a year after. I think these additives were required for the earlier 2 strokes and that the 4 strokes don't require them as much. I'm sure others will have a different opinion, some use them faithfully, some no so much and some not at all. Most of the fuel sold is the midgrade 89 octane. I have not noticed noise or performance differences.
If you get ringfree, you can buy it by the case 6 quarts at a discount. https://domo-online.com/Fuel-Additives

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've been using Ring Free religiously for the 4 years I've had this engine (and Startron, but that's a different product). I agree that it's likely more important for 2-strokes, like the OP has. Last year (or maybe the year before) I took my O2 sensor and parts out to check them out - thinking I needed to clean them. They were spotless. I took them into a local dealer to make sure I got the right gasket - dealer took one look at them and said "You must be using Ring Free".

Great stuff, but awful expensive. If it's the only product that works like it does, so be it. I'm glad to pay. But if there's another product that is just as good but costs a "normal" amount...

Seasick, I'll be very interested to hear about your experience with the Startron version - I'm a firm believer in their fuel treatment for somewhere around 15 years, now (I actually use the diesel version as it's less expensive). How do you plan on comparing your results?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm going into the 12th season for the motors on my boat. Other than routine (plugs, oil, gear oil, zincs) and preventative maintenance (tstats, fuel pumps, belt, internal zincs etc), I've had no issues at all and never a breakdown (knock wood). The additive certainly can't hurt, that said I think it is pushed as it has a huge profit margin for Yamaha. I use seafoam in all my 2 cycle motors (2 small outboards, leaf blower, trimmers and my Yamaha generator).

It didn't save my midsection :>) I did these practively 3 years ago. Really not that bad, but the coating was compromised and there was corrosion starting.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I always use the Johnson/Evinrude Carbon Guard only because I have Johnson motors. I doubt if it's any cheaper or easier to find than Ring Free though.

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I've been using Ring Free religiously for the 4 years I've had this engine (and Startron, but that's a different product). I agree that it's likely more important for 2-strokes, like the OP has. Last year (or maybe the year before) I took my O2 sensor and parts out to check them out - thinking I needed to clean them. They were spotless. I took them into a local dealer to make sure I got the right gasket - dealer took one look at them and said "You must be using Ring Free".

Great stuff, but awful expensive. If it's the only product that works like it does, so be it. I'm glad to pay. But if there's another product that is just as good but costs a "normal" amount...

Seasick, I'll be very interested to hear about your experience with the Startron version - I'm a firm believer in their fuel treatment for somewhere around 15 years, now (I actually use the diesel version as it's less expensive). How do you plan on comparing your results?

That's a good question. The motor that I am running the new Startron is a 2001 Yami SX150. That said, it is about 17 seasons old and eventually something is going to go!
My feeling about Ring Free is that it reduces buildup in the ring grooves. Deposits in those grooves are the bane of 2 strokes since ring binding will lead to ring cracks and then to catastrophic damage.
Of course without tearing down the motor, I really won't be able to tell if the new product is helping and in addition without tearing it down now, I really don't know what the current condition is.

So the only things I can easily look at are plugs and O2 sensor. To be honest, I don't regularly disassemble my O2 . Unless I have reason to suspect an issue I leave it alone.
On the other hand, I do remove, lay out in order, and compare my plugs. Hard deposits are an indication of carbon buildup and I really haven't seen a lot of that.
If my motor were newer, I probably wouldn't make the change from Ring Free since I have had no major issues using it.

I also have to keep in mind that many possible issues may have nothing to do with the additive. There is a higher chance that an oil injection issue, sensor issue or the like may cause problems.

In summary, I probably won't really know for sure if the Ring Clean works as well as Ring Free.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the link Parthery, I'll order a case when I get back. $34 a bottle is better than what I've been paying for a single bottle, and it's not like I won't use it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm buying gas at a Valvetec marina and I'm not going to pay another penny for Yamaha Koolaid. I need the money for new 4 strokes....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
seasick said:
That's a good question. The motor that I am running the new Startron is a 2001 Yami SX150. That said, it is about 17 seasons old and eventually something is going to go!
My feeling about Ring Free is that it reduces buildup in the ring grooves. Deposits in those grooves are the bane of 2 strokes since ring binding will lead to ring cracks and then to catastrophic damage.
Of course without tearing down the motor, I really won't be able to tell if the new product is helping and in addition without tearing it down now, I really don't know what the current condition is.

So the only things I can easily look at are plugs and O2 sensor. To be honest, I don't regularly disassemble my O2 . Unless I have reason to suspect an issue I leave it alone.
On the other hand, I do remove, lay out in order, and compare my plugs. Hard deposits are an indication of carbon buildup and I really haven't seen a lot of that.
If my motor were newer, I probably wouldn't make the change from Ring Free since I have had no major issues using it.

I also have to keep in mind that many possible issues may have nothing to do with the additive. There is a higher chance that an oil injection issue, sensor issue or the like may cause problems.

In summary, I probably won't really know for sure if the Ring Clean works as well as Ring Free.

I agree with everything you are saying - and about the rings, too. After looking into that Ring Clean a bit, it seems it's been around for 2 or 3 years, now. I'm going to check into a little more - but I'm leaning towards trying it, as well. I have a snake camera to look into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, but I can't take pictures.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Some time ago chevron invented a product called Techron that was designed to prevent/reduce carbon buildup in the cylinders, piston rings and valves. Ring Free and the others are all derivatives of the Techron formula. Ring Free is available on Amazon so I just order it there