Is this a fix before it goes in the water.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sometimes it's obvious that there is major, underlying glass damge. This is not obvious so the only way to say FOR SURE is to have someone inspect it. By pictures, only, it is not conclusive. It's 'probably' OK, but the only conclusive way to know is to have someone look at it.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a boat guy from the local marina look at it and he said leave it alone. I Am just a little paranoid about water getting behind them. From my naked eye and feeling the cracks they do not appear to be that deep.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's lot's of 'boat guys' hanging around marinas... ;) The question is... is he truly knowledgable about this stuff or did he give it just a quick, cursory glance.

But, let's go on the assumption that there's no underlying damage (which, again, you'll ideally need a good surveyor or glass guy to look at it). In that case (assuming no real damage), those cracks would not worry me about water intrusion. Anything above the waterline, with tiny cracks like that, will be fine. However, cracks don't shrink - they can get bigger... and they will get bigger/longer over time. If you want to at least stop them from growing, drill a small hole at the end of every crack - just barely through the gel and into the glass only a tiny bit. Then fill the hole. Nothing is guaranteed, but that's about the best way to try and prevent them from growing.

In the end, you need to make the decision - don't rely just on what I am saying. If you're comfortable with it as is, then go boating and keep an eye on them. If it's going to bother you, get it checked.

seasick

Reaction score
Could be that a previous owner wasn't that good at docking:) The fact that they are one side is a clue. Could be caused by the hull hitting a dock or pilings. The cracks may line up with internal stringers. I agree that they don't appear to be spider cracks but rather stress cracks. The starboard transom crack could be a result of backing up into something solid.
Whether these are major structural issue is hard to tell. It would require grinding into a crack or two to see how deep the crack is. A moisture survey of the hull would help determine if there is a water intrusion issue.

One puzzling piece is your statement that you didn't see there before ( before what? This year?) If that is true and you operated the boat last year then I would be concerned why the cracks are showing up now. Did you say where and how the boat was stored in the off season?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I didn’t notice them until after i got the boat back from getting the water pump and thermostats changed. I was washing the boat and noticed the cracks. Didn’t notice them when I put it way. The boat was on a trailer with a cover all winter long. I am not sure what happened and/or when it happened.

Anyway I talked to a fiberglass guy and showed him the pics. He said it should be fixed but from what he sees not right away. I will bring him the boat in July or August when he is less busy.

seasick

Reaction score
Good luck with the repairs. I am interested in how things turn out so please let us know.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I wouldn't say fixed, I would say examined by a reputable glass guy to make sure you are ok. Just my 2 cents.