Is this enough trailer?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our Voyager weighs in in at about 5500 lbs with fuel and gear. There is a dealer near me with excellent prices on Load Rite trailers. I'm considering the 'Elite' model that comes with radial tires, LED lights, guides, and target bunks. The model with a 6k lb capacity runs $3400. My questions are:
- is this enough capacity
- are single bunks enough support
- do aluminum trailers (joints) hold up well long term
- what is load rite' s reputation like

Thanks

Btw, my roller trailer is up for sale - galvanized, 7k lb capacity.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Assuming your boat actually weighs 5500# (no way to know unless actually weighed):

- Do the numbers work? Yes, if you're comfortable with a 10% margin.
- Yes
- Yes
- OK

Bottom line, you don't know what the boat weighs. Maybe you have a 15% margin under max gross weight, and maybe you only have 5%. I'd recommend keeping the 7000# trailer until you know what you're actually are dealing with ...

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That is about what it weighed (on the scale) when I subtract the trailer weight.

seasick

Reaction score
Boat US recommendations are for a max load no more than 85% of trailer rating. Your numbers are a bit above that at 91%. There are a few things to consider: You mentioned that the boat had fuel but you didn't say how much. Figure about 6 pounds per gallon of gas. Trailering with more or less fuel will chamge the load factors. Secondly, make sure the trailer is long enough for your hull. You need to balance the load and adjust for proper tongue weight and that oftentimes is not easy to do when the trailer is too short.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
5500 is fully fueled with gear... give or take 100 lbs.
The trailer is designed for a boat up to 25'.
The next size up trailer is of course much more $$ because of bigger axles, brakes, etc but what concerns me more is too much trailer. This bigger trailer has a 7400 lb rating. I fear the trailer may not ride well because it is over sprung.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 225, and the 228 before it, scaled in at 5500 lbs. And that was with a half tank of fuel. And that's with the weight of the trailer subtracted. Actual GVW - with the trailer - on the scale - was almost 6400 lbs.

Both of those boats sit (and sat) on 7000 GVW - 6000 capacity trailers. Which left me around 10 percent.

Load Rite's are a fine mass produced trailer....if the dealer can provide the service you would expect, then no reason not to go with them. I'm not sure the trailer you are looking at is big enough though.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
My trailers have always been 10,000# custom made steel (both paint and galvanized) bunk trailers, so that is my perspective. Since steel bends, but rarely cracks, it is more durable than aluminum, which tends to fracture if subjected to excessive loads. If you accept that premise, then any aluminum trailer should be sized with a very good margin for its load carrying capacity. I think your proposed trailer is cutting it too close, but then again, the conditions under which you will tow your boat should be factored in as well. If it were me though, I'd spend the money.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're going from a 7K to a 6K. If it's for short trips and storage you should be OK but if you want to actively use it, drop more coin. If you have a 7K trailer already why downsize?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I occasionally might make a 300 mile trip a year, but for the most part the boat will be in the rack in the summer, trailer in the winter.
I'm looking at this as possibly right sizing rather than downsizing. Bigger isn't always better, and I want to make sure I don't make an expensive mistake.
Roller trailers are great for shallow ramps, but I don't have that issue around here. A bunk trailer would make things easier.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When it comes to boat trailers bigger is always better. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I do agree that if it's primarily short trips, you'd probably get by.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Bigger isn't always better,

:uhm No, but big enough usually is. That's questionable here, good luck with it ...