Is this normal 03 282

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
So in the mid berth there is a removeable panel in the floor. There is a nice space there for storage, but it has signs of water getting in there. I was taking a closer look today and I notice the two floor drains in the cabin drain directly into this area, no hoses, nothing. Is this normal, and why would they design it like this? Why not just add hoses and have them drain into the forward bilge?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The most obvious answer to "why" is... because that's how they did it. :)

More importantly, how do YOU want to do it?

Does the midberth bilge drain to the aft bilge? Logically, that would make sense.

Does the midberth also drain to/from the fwd bilge?

I

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
The most obvious answer to "why" is... because that's how they did it. :)

More importantly, how do YOU want to do it?

Does the midberth bilge drain to the aft bilge? Logically, that would make sense.

Does the midberth also drain to/from the fwd bilge?

I
My answer, I don't know. The actual mid berth bilge is under this area so what looks like a good storage area isn't. The forward bilge is less than a foot from these drains...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So you're saying that the fwd bilge drains/travels underneath this storage area?

OK, start with looking at the midberth area to see how/where it drains to.

dgrizzly

Reaction score
@A&J Outdoors this is expected, I know this as I just rebuilt my 98 232 and had to replace some good sections of the bulkheads that were exposed to water(Grady doesn't do an amazing job at sealing ply wood..) My assumption is there's a drain hole in the cabin so you can rinse out the floor etc. There's holes at the bottom of each bulk head that lets water flow out to your garboard plug. Water is likely coming in from one of your hatches / stern and then floating fwd to the cabin. There should also be a 2nd bilge pump in the cabin to help pump water out in a emergency as it's a low point when in the water.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, this was designed by Grady. It drains back into the aft bildge if and when necessary IE forward bilge pump does not work. That area you're referring to I believe will contain an air conditioning condenser , factory option ,under that floor. Water will travel from the forward bilge to the aft bilge. Keep in mind on the 282 that the forward bilge is the lowest point and will always hold some kind of water which is a bit bother some at first. But over the years I've gotten quite used to it and it only holds about a gallon or so before it could get pumped out.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Yes, this was designed by Grady. It drains back into the aft bildge if and when necessary IE forward bilge pump does not work. That area you're referring to I believe will contain an air conditioning condenser , factory option ,under that floor. Water will travel from the forward bilge to the aft bilge. Keep in mind on the 282 that the forward bilge is the lowest point and will always hold some kind of water which is a bit bother some at first. But over the years I've gotten quite used to it and it only holds about a gallon or so before it could get pumped out.
Thanks I guess it was meant that way, but without the ac options, if they would have those rains go into the bilge, it would make a great storage spot. Here are some pictures for those that don't understand what I was asking about.
20230504_134243.jpg20230504_134228.jpg20230504_134222.jpg

dgrizzly

Reaction score
See if you can trace where water's coming in from, check thru hulls / salt deposits best case it's just coming in from above.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hull is below that "floating box". The AC unit would sit in that box and there's a few inches of empty space underneath before you get to the hull. If you look aft of that box, there's an oval access panel in the berth.... Open it up, you have your freshwater pump, hydraulic pump, shit tank etc in there..... But if you stick ur head in and look down you can see under that box.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So that is just a "false floor" in the storage area, correct?

Are there any drains?

I suspect it's a very simple false floor and not sealed in any way so water that gets in there will pass right through cracks around the edge and into the bilge? Pour some water in there and see what happens.

I see the waterline you're talking about - that could have been from a plug in the bilge drain system at some point or even the boat stored with the bow down and water was allowed to collect.

Options... replumb the drains to the forward bilge... replumb the drains directly through the false floor.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those two drain holes you see are on the floor are just forward that box and do not have anything to do with the box. I know it's hard to tell from his picture, but those holes drain directly to the forward bilge, which is just below it.
That box sits higher up and is in the mid Berth. The two are not connected in any way.

Now regarding the box itself, mine has a small hole in the corner to let water drain to the bilge below it. But mine was equipped with ac from the factory (tho I removed it). So his could be different.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll take some pics of my boat later today so he is able to compare and also to give you guys a better idea of what he's referring to.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I always thought it was a grey water storage area from the shower in the head. I have owned my 282 for 18 yeaars and I hve never been able to figure out the grey water system. Somehow it gets pumped out, but I always thought the concept of grey water storage was to be able to pump it out of you boat in areas suitable for grey water. There is no separate pump to handle the grey water (that I am aware of) and it eventually gets out. I assumed once the storage area got filled it would flow through down to e bilge through a strainer below deck into the forward bilge area and then pumped out when the bilge pump floats activated. Sounds like my theory on grey water for his boat may be ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I always thought it was a grey water storage area from the shower in the head. I have owned my 282 for 18 yeaars and I hve never been able to figure out the grey water system. Somehow it gets pumped out, but I always thought the concept of grey water storage was to be able to pump it out of you boat in areas suitable for grey water. There is no separate pump to handle the grey water (that I am aware of) and it eventually gets out. I assumed once the storage area got filled it would flow through down to e bilge through a strainer below deck into the forward bilge area and then pumped out when the bilge pump floats activated. Sounds like my theory on grey water for his boat may be ?
It's quite possible you do not have an "actual" grey water system. Yes, your boat would have "grey water" and "black water", but it may not have the option for true grey water system. In many cases with a grey water "system", the black water tank serves double duty and all grey water is plumbed to it.

Reactions: mleads310

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The gray water from the shower in the head drains into a small holding “box” with a pump on a float switch that is pumped overboard. Pull up the hatch at the bottom of the stairs to access it and the forward bilge pump.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
The hull is below that "floating box". The AC unit would sit in that box and there's a few inches of empty space underneath before you get to the hull. If you look aft of that box, there's an oval access panel in the berth.... Open it up, you have your freshwater pump, hydraulic pump, shit tank etc in there..... But if you stick ur head in and look down you can see under that box.
Correct, I have all the panels of down there as I've been working on the boat. It just seemed odd to be that the floor drains would drain into there instead of the actual bilge.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Those two drain holes you see are on the floor are just forward that box and do not have anything to do with the box. I know it's hard to tell from his picture, but those holes drain directly to the forward bilge, which is just below it.
That box sits higher up and is in the mid Berth. The two are not connected in any way.

Now regarding the box itself, mine has a small hole in the corner to let water drain to the bilge below it. But mine was equipped with ac from the factory (tho I removed it). So his could be different.
Actually they drain directly into the box, and not the bilge. I'll get more pictures and may video to show.