Islander 26 Bait Tank

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1995 Islander 26 that I recently acquired a Blue Water oval bait tank for. I am now in the process of reinforcing the deck hatch it will sit on - but am having problems with the plumbing solution.

The intake line should not be too much of an problem but trying to figure out a discharge path is giving me issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I put mine on the Euro transom port side. Rachet strap under ladder and around the tank. Rule 49DR 1,100 GPH pump connects using old 2-stroke oil fill with 1" hose. Tank vents overboard thru 1 1/2" hose.

IMG_1369.jpeg

Ignore the aerator hoses. They are for overnight in the canal where the water quality is poor. I disconnect the 1" fill hose and stand it up so it does not siphon the tank dry.

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the reply. The previous owner also had it on the transom but we were trying to avoid if possible. The tank we have is also a fiberglass and would not really work anywhere other than the deck due to its dimensions.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The deck of the boat is basically at the water line. Top of tank drain is the problem.

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The deck of the boat is basically at the water line. Top of tank drain is the problem.

The tank drains from the bottom. The inlet and outlet are right next to each other. The lines will have to run down into the void between my front and rear fuel tanks. Just wondering where would be ok to core a hole for the discharge hose path.

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Attached are photos of the tank and the proposed location.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.55.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.55.14 PM.png
    974.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.55.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.55.32 PM.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is a photo of a 268 under the deck. The full tank pictured is your aux tank. Do you have an aux tank?

Tanks.jpg

This is lengthy thread on fuel tanks but worth looking at.

I would not put the drain thru the fuel compartment. You really want that compartment to remain isolated and dry. If you really want to go thru the deck the small aft hatch in front of the seat where your speakers are would be alright. But you will be below the waterline and may need a shower sump like pump to get the water out.

Also I would install a tube going up inside the tank to empty the from the top. You really want some circulation of the water.

Personally I wouldn't go thru all this to save the cost of a tank. You can buy poly oval tank for $150 +/- and simplify everything. The only thing you loose is the ladder. I can get you tank dimensions if you like - mine is a perfect fit. If you go this way order a custom racket strap with stainless ratchet.

Last edited:

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is a photo of a 268 under the deck. The full tank pictured is your aux tank. Do you have an aux tank?

View attachment 19135

This is lengthy thread on fuel tanks but worth looking at.

I would not put the drain thru the fuel compartment. You really want that compartment to remain isolated and dry. If you really want to go thru the deck the small aft hatch infant of the seat where your speakers are would be alright. But you will be below the waterline and may need a shower sump like pump to get the water out.

Also I would install a tube going up inside the tank to empty the from the top. You really want some circulation of the water.

Personally I wouldn't go thru all this to save the cost of a tank. You can buy poly oval tank for $150 +/- and simplify everything. The only thing you loose is the ladder. I can get you tank dimensions if you like - mine is a perfect fit. If you go this way order a custom racket strap with stainless ratchet.

Our rear Aux tank is only 27 gallons so there is a large gap (2.5') between the forward and rear tank. Unfortunately the poly oval tanks do not have the capacity needed for the West Coast fishery. The tank also fills through the whole water column and drains from the top but within the body of the tank so it will have good circulation.

I will try and get some more photos this afternoon to post of the situation.

Thanks for the responses.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sue, are you saying the drain is through the bottom, or through the side near the bottom?

If it's actually through the bottom, what about building a small shelf for it to sit on? Or, as I mentioned above, put a new drain through the side (plug the old one)? Or... exchange it for one that suits your location better, rather than going through all kinds of gyrations to "make this one work".

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sue, are you saying the drain is through the bottom, or through the side near the bottom?

If it's actually through the bottom, what about building a small shelf for it to sit on? Or, as I mentioned above, put a new drain through the side (plug the old one)? Or... exchange it for one that suits your location better, rather than going through all kinds of gyrations to "make this one work".

A shelf would be an interesting idea. Give me a little more flexibility on where to route things...Thanks for the input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So the drain is on the actual bottom?

A sump box could work if you have to go below deck, but since you might get gunk/scales/whatever in the water, you'd probably want to use a macerator instead of a typical bilge pump.