Islander Charging System

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1998 Islander with a single OX66 Yamaha 250HP. with two batteries. Recently the battery indicator started blinking at 12 volts and below indicated. At speed (25) knots or so it blinks, and sometimes at trolling speed as well. Occasiaonly I can get the voltage over 12.6 volts. I was reading the manual trying to troubleshoot, and it seemed to indicate either a bad battery, or a volateg regulator. Has anyone else run into this, and do you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Charging system

See if you can borrow a good battery from someone. If the battery is 5 years old or older it is most likley the cause - just replace it.

With a good battery and the motor running you should see 13.2 to 13.6 volts across the battery when checked with a voltmeter. If you still get 12.6 you have a charging problem.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take the batteries to west marine and have them load test them, it is free and takes only a few seconds to do. They will tell you if the batteries just need fluid or are shot and need to be replaced. How old are they, most guys say 2-3 years although I always get about 5 or so out of mine, I would never push them longer then that. My batteries see 40-50 trips a season and are stored off the boat for the winter and are trickle charged once a month and then load tested before being put back in. If it is not your battery possibly your alternator has an issue and you are charging at the dock, but not on the water when underway.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Great idea taking them to West Marine. They are at least 3 years old, probably closer to five years. I bought the GW in 2007, and they were not new then. The load test should be the discriminator. I should probably invest in a pair anyway, given their age. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.