Islander hatch seals?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey guys,

Noticed when I took pictures of the boat yesterday, the top hatch may be leaking. Anyone have a good source for replacing the cabin batch? It seems pretty loose. May just need the seal replaced, but willing to look at the entire thing, if that seems like the best way to go.

Also would probably do well to add a screen to it. Going to take new measurements when the rain stops atm.. heh

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The cabin deck hatches are super easy to remove - and you will likely be able to tell where the leak is once you look closer. It's possible that it was only originally sealed with foam tape - or it could be a caulk/sealant that has just given up the ghost. At 17 years old, it's due for a re-seal, regardless. Just re-seal the deck flange with a good marine sealant - Boatife LifeSeal or LifeCaulk, for example. Tip... apply a band of masking tape around the perimeter of the deck flange before you remove it to catch squish-out. Inspect the deck core REAL well.

Yup - definitely get a screen. If you want to upgrade, check out OceanAir Skyscreen - it has a built-in screen and black-out shade... meaning, there's nothing to store/lose!

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The cabin deck hatches are super easy to remove - and you will likely be able to tell where the leak is once you look closer. It's possible that it was only originally sealed with foam tape - or it could be a caulk/sealant that has just given up the ghost. At 17 years old, it's due for a re-seal, regardless. Just re-seal the deck flange with a good marine sealant - Boatife LifeSeal or LifeCaulk, for example. Tip... apply a band of masking tape around the perimeter of the deck flange before you remove it to catch squish-out. Inspect the deck core REAL well.

Yup - definitely get a screen. If you want to upgrade, check out OceanAir Skyscreen - it has a built-in screen and black-out shade... meaning, there's nothing to store/lose!

Perfect, just the info I was looking for. I have a new project tomorrow, when the rain stops... hopefully.. lol

Thanks, as always, @DennisG01 ;)