Islander transom livewell conversion?

tjb22

Reaction score
Has anyone converted the storage area located on the port side of the transom into a livewell? I am looking to add a livewell in addition to the 104 quart fishbox livewell which I end up using as a fishbox only. Any other ideas or recommendations?

izzy

Reaction score
Livewell might not work well becuase ideally you want it to be round as possible because the little fishies like to swim in circles. Rectangular doesn't work so well

conshykid

Reaction score
tjb22...I say go for it.If its not to hard to do then I would do it.I converted transom storage boxes on a 22' IMP I had.I just added a recerq. pump and sprayheads my livewell in my Offshore because it didnt have any.

izzy....I guess the should start making round fish tanks :roll:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depending on the baitfish you have, most will require a round tank or they all swim to one edge and stay there, they do not turn easily when overcrowded and all in the same corner. I would round the edges, also what type of baitfish, that well will be good for smaller baitfish, but anything of size will not live long unless you only put a few in.

conshykid, fish in fish tanks are not over crowded like they are in a livewell, they have room to swim and make turns on corners, they are also often smaller then most baitfish that fishermen use. Fish in a livewell are usually packed more dense then a fish tank, even if not, they tend to swim as a school and together and will all crowd a corner and not be able to turn, there is no solution to this except to round the corners. If you baitfish a lot, corners are no good. My previous 22' seafarer had corners, if I put more then 8-10 bunker in it they would die, I could fit way more, but more would keep the fish from making turns, on my 265 which has rounded corners, I can pack it with a fish per gal and never have a fish die and have them as good as new.

Many guys I know carry round 20gal live wells with them with a good sized pump and overboard hose, they can keep about 20 - 10" baitfish in them all day, but this also requires a battery to run it and takes up space. There is no real solution, it all depends on your needs and how often you use live bait. If the bait you use is small, you can carry a small bait bucket and splash it in the water when fishing, if it is bigger, either use your current livewell and carry a 90-100qt cooler for your fish, or carry a decent sized round or oval live well onboard. I'd opt to carry a cooler onboard and use your larger current livewell as is, it is a lot cheaper.

conshykid

Reaction score
thats b.s that the fish cant survive in non-round tanks.Its all about the size of tank,how much you fill it, and the key is how well its oxygenated
Tuna dont die in tuna tubes because constant oxygen rich water is past by their gills.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last June a nearby boat netted some bunker and gave us the net full. (about 15 - 18, 10 inch bunker) at 8 AM. We fished all day running the pump for the non round livewell in the Islander and at 2 PM we released about 10 live ones back to swim. It was the standard livewell in the 95 Islander on the port side. Just some factual personal info.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
tuna swim straight in tuna tubes, they don't need to turn, two different things. Those pumps are also a lot bigger then what you are likely using to supply your whole livewell. I'm not saying you cannot keep them alive at all, but you cannot fill them to the capacity you should be able to and keep them alive, putting fewer fish in the livewell will work, but chances are those fish will become sluggish and soon discolor. 10-18 bunker in a 100 qt livewell is not a lot, you should be able to keep 25-30, 1 fish per gallon and if they are smaller or you have a really good pump you can keep a few more without compromising their quality. I keep 40-50 10inch bunker in my 40gal livewell and they look and stay frisky. I've noticed bunker along with many other biats are a lot friskier in a round well then a square one, they may be alive in a square one, but do they have red noses and do they swim slow? Liveballyhoo will injure their beaks in a livewell with corners, a round livewell allows them to stay flush with the surface at all times and not break it, keeping them fresh. I've designed enough livewells on boats, none these days are square unless they are on smaller boat, and even most of them have rounded corners. I have never had a tournament fishermen ask me for a square livewell, they all agree that the bait does not stay as lively or in as good condition in a square tank. I guess I am nuts along with all of them, I guess they aren't out there winning more money then our boats are worth in tournaments time after time by dumb luck.

conshykid

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
tuna swim straight in tuna tubes, they don't need to turn, two different things. Those pumps are also a lot bigger then what you are likely using to supply your whole livewell. I'm not saying you cannot keep them alive at all, but you cannot fill them to the capacity you should be able to and keep them alive, putting fewer fish in the livewell will work, but chances are those fish will become sluggish and soon discolor. 10-18 bunker in a 100 qt livewell is not a lot, you should be able to keep 25-30, 1 fish per gallon and if they are smaller or you have a really good pump you can keep a few more without compromising their quality. I keep 40-50 10inch bunker in my 40gal livewell and they look and stay frisky. I've noticed bunker along with many other biats are a lot friskier in a round well then a square one, they may be alive in a square one, but do they have red noses and do they swim slow? Liveballyhoo will injure their beaks in a livewell with corners, a round livewell allows them to stay flush with the surface at all times and not break it, keeping them fresh. I've designed enough livewells on boats, none these days are square unless they are on smaller boat, and even most of them have rounded corners. I have never had a tournament fishermen ask me for a square livewell, they all agree that the bait does not stay as lively or in as good condition in a square tank. I guess I am nuts along with all of them, I guess they aren't out there winning more money then our boats are worth in tournaments time after time by dumb luck.

I have fished on many boats in Costa Rica and Mexico where we use small tuna,skipies,bonitas and mackrell are used for marlin and the fish are not SWIMMING in the tubes.They are merly in a non active state kept alive by the O2 rich water forced into their mouths and past their gills.I also personally could give a F*@# who or why people win tournements and doubt highly the first thing coming from their mounths as they are handed the big cardboard check is "Boy we wouldn't have won without that rounded livewell!!!!!"

Im not trying to argue with you about round vs rect tanks.Granted having a rounded edge in the tank will make the fish swim easier,but that dosent mean they cant live in one without it.

Lets face it...tjb22 asked if he could turn the storage area into a livewell and the answer is simply YES.Is it an ideal shape ?,maybe not ,will it work?,YES.So I say, build away!!!!

izzy

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Depending on the baitfish you have, most will require a round tank or they all swim to one edge and stay there, they do not turn easily when overcrowded and all in the same corner. I would round the edges, also what type of baitfish, that well will be good for smaller baitfish, but anything of size will not live long unless you only put a few in.

conshykid, fish in fish tanks are not over crowded like they are in a livewell, they have room to swim and make turns on corners, they are also often smaller then most baitfish that fishermen use. Fish in a livewell are usually packed more dense then a fish tank, even if not, they tend to swim as a school and together and will all crowd a corner and not be able to turn, there is no solution to this except to round the corners. If you baitfish a lot, corners are no good. My previous 22' seafarer had corners, if I put more then 8-10 bunker in it they would die, I could fit way more, but more would keep the fish from making turns, on my 265 which has rounded corners, I can pack it with a fish per gal and never have a fish die and have them as good as new.

Many guys I know carry round 20gal live wells with them with a good sized pump and overboard hose, they can keep about 20 - 10" baitfish in them all day, but this also requires a battery to run it and takes up space. There is no real solution, it all depends on your needs and how often you use live bait. If the bait you use is small, you can carry a small bait bucket and splash it in the water when fishing, if it is bigger, either use your current livewell and carry a 90-100qt cooler for your fish, or carry a decent sized round or oval live well onboard. I'd opt to carry a cooler onboard and use your larger current livewell as is, it is a lot cheaper.

Well said.......... :!:

tjb22

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I typically use either Bunker or Porgies for live bait which are both fairly large. I don't really use the transom "trash can" for anything and it looks like it could be converted pretty easily into a live well with some strengthening and plumbing. Much more convenient to keep a hooked bait in there than in the factory live well. I was also looking at going the temporary route with a portable bait well. Curious about how the temp. bait well would alter the boat handling if I placed it behind the transom in the motor well.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the well is only 20 gal, you will add roughly 120lbs to the transom area(maybe 150 with a pump and the well itself to be safe), the boat will likely sit about 3/4" lower in the transom, as for handling, if it is kept centerline, the boat will just need maybe 100-200 more rpm to get out of the hole, or maybe a little tab to change the running angle, overall it will be minimal. Putting it off center will not be harsh either, the boat will list a tab bit, but nothing unsafe or very noticeable, you may need to sue more tab though to right the boat when running. To simulate what a baitwell will do, have someone at the dock stand where you might likely put one, see how the boat changes and feels at rest, if you are uncomfortable, then don't get one, if it is minimal, then maybe when running place someone as close to the spot you may out a well at without being on the transom, keep them in the cockpit for safety, someone around 200lb in the cockpit will simulate a 150lb well further aft. Your other option as mentioned is top use your larger factory well for bait and to use a decent sized cooler for the fish when you need the space. On my 22 Seafarer I did this, and it worked, but my bait would only be good, not great, I switched to a round portable 30gal well for my last season and my bait was in much better condition. It was also easier to clean after and would clog less since access was easier then the Grady livewell which seemed to clog a bit. If you can swing the price and taking up some space, a portable livewell is what I would recommend, it will likely be cheaper or around the same price as adding components to your current transom box you are not using and you will have a round well. Your bunker will stay alive with corners, but may not be in the best shape. You will need to change some plumbing to add a pump and make sure it drains overboard well, also bunker and larger bait may clog the discharge piping, a macerator is the best way to fix that, but costs more and takes up more space. Not sure what suits your needs the best, think it through before you do anything, maybe take a peak at what work would be required to convert your storage to a livewell vs what space you lose from adding a tank and its cost. Also, a portable well needs a battery to run it, either wiring to your house batteries, or a separate battery if you can. You want the battery stored and dry. Depending on how large your house batteries are now, or how many you currently have, you may need to add a battery regardless.