Isolator Cable Question

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have searched online and I think I have the answer I am looking for but looking to confirm. Due to the massive corrosion on out 2007 F150's we elected to reposer with low hour HPDI's for a fraction of the cost of repairing or replacing the F150's. I thought I had good documentation on the rigging wiring but I am a little suck on this. I have a red positive wire coming from boat that was butt connected to a wire on the F150's. I am thinking it is the isolator cable and instead of buying the Yamaha plug and harness during the original repower they must have cut the Yamaha plug off the motor side and replaced with a butt connector.

Attached are 2 photos, the powerhead being lifted off the F150 where you can see where the wire on the powerhead side and the other the factory isolator cable on the HPDI. The one on the F150 is hard to see, the best I had in my phone.

Hoping to get the boat in the water this week or next week and sea trial the new-to-me power. Although unhappy about the situation we found ourselves in with the F150's I am happy about how we chose to remedy it and looking forward to the numbers we will see from the HPDI's.

Attachments

• F150 Wire.JPG
    F150 Wire.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 11
  • HPDI Wire.jpg
    HPDI Wire.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 11

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
whats on the other end? The Aux cable became a third wire in the motor starter cable oem Yamama and had a battery size ring terminal in the boat. Went to the regulator/starter fuse block in the motor

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The wire going into the boat goes to the batteries. I would have to dig to see exactly where but it is the isolator cable. I am leaning towards cutting that plug off and connecting there where I think that’s how it was on the F150’s but I was just not certain of there was another way to do it.

Andrew

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I was a little confused...I thought you were asking about the wire with no plug...

So the HPDI is the "new" motor and it has a plug going nowhere inside the motor and you say the other end is on the battery?

I'm confused by the pic because the motor usually does have a connector like that and you would then connect the cable that comes from the battery, thru the motor cable bundle.
That plug usually has a dummy connector in it if you don't have an Aux cable.

The fuse for that is in the fuse box that is below the starter motor.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The HPDI is the “new” motor. I was looking to see if both wires in the photos are essentially the same, the F150 with the end that was most likely cut off and the HPDI having the original plug on the end. The F150’s are gone and I can’t reference them, just whatever I had for photos.

Thanks

Andrew

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The HPDI is the “new” motor. I was looking to see if both wires in the photos are essentially the same, the F150 with the end that was most likely cut off and the HPDI having the original plug on the end. The F150’s are gone and I can’t reference them, just whatever I had for photos.

Thanks

Andrew
What I see is the oem Yamaha Aux charging “jack”. You can buy an oem Yamaha “plug” & cable that goes to the battery#2 or you could cut off the jack and butt splice a 10gauge red wire to the battery. You have to check to see if the fuse is in place or it won’t work