Issue with boat listings to the port

Grady268MA

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Grady White 268 Islander.
Two issues with listing. At times when boat on plain she list left.
Can't determine if its the wind pushing the bow or if I should use trim tabs or engine tabs or all of the above.
Also...at times the boat runs very heavy in the stern on the way to plaining. Even more drastic than I would typically expect.
Any ideas on solutions or causes?
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How much experience do you have running a boat with engine trim and tabs? How about size of boats? If too much hull is in the water when on plane, it's very normal for that to cause a list. Try trimming the engines up a bit. FYI, the engines don't have tabs for trimming - the entire engine goes up and down.

To get on plane quickly, ALWAYS start with the engines fully down and (ideally) trim tabs fully deployed. You may find you don't need the tabs, but they will make a huge difference if you need them to.

What's the condition of the bottom?

Grady268MA

Reaction score
Thanks
This is only my second season with a Grady.
I've owned larger boats with Inboards and not had this kind of issue.
I've been experimenting with tabs, but I need to spend more time doing this.
The bottom is not in great shape. Probably need Soda Blast etc, but it feels more like a weight issue or wind pushing the port side hard towards the water.
Thanks for your input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If there's ANY growth on the bottom (bottom paint would have to be really caked up), it can absolutely cause this. OK, so you've had tabs, but haven't had a chance to trim engines before. That's helpful to know. BUT, for now, don't mess with the tabs - get used to the boat with just the engine trim. Post back after you play around again - especially with trimming up a bit more.

Ozz043

Reaction score
That’s odd, my Marlin lists to Port on the plane as well.
I have removed a heap of weight from the port side as I have no need for the stuff
( microwave, water heater and inverter/chaarger )

funny because I didn’t notice the listing until it was all gone :hmm

Yes some have pointed out that there I might be planing with the bow too low....yes agree but why Port and not alternate....always always Port

I thought that maybe the twin engines weren’t trimmed identical....that would make sense..

When there’s chop it doesn’t happen, only in the calm...or is it because I expect the boat to list towards the wind ?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
My boat also lists to the port side about an inch (in comparison to the SB side) while at dock and seems to favor the port side while under way where I have to give it a bit of tab to level it out. I cannot figure out why. Batteries and the water tank are mounted dead center. I moved the stowable gear and still no change. Was wondering if some water is getting in via the rub rail or somewhere else and is settling inside one of the hidden stringers. The bilge has been dry. I guess the only way to find out would be to send one of those camera scopes in through some access plate holes. For now I have learned to live with it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's completely normal with a single engine on the SV2 hull. Just the effect of propeller torque. A lot of deep V hulls also do this.

I run with my port tab (starboard switch button) down 3 lights in order to keep level.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Doc
My Port engine is the dominant engine as far as thrust goes, especially going aft...even though it is counter-rotational
Maybe this is why....
Makes sense

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I took my new-to-me 2002 Islander out this past weekend and noticed the same thing. Listing to the port side and it really rolled to the port side the first time we tried to accelerate. I then remembered what a former owner of the boat told me which was this: "keep trim tabs all the way up and only use to balance weight if needed, and trim up the motor". He believed that the boat was designed for dual engines and 400 to 500 hp depending on the year. If you are only running a single 250 hp, (which I am) there is not enough weight in the back of the boat and the deep SeaV2 bow gets too much of a bite of the water. The torque caused by the single engine can also contribute. I trimmed the motors up to get the bow up and the problem seemed to go away.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Toothpick
I have twins, trim tabs fix the issue for me every time
I don’t think I should have to use them though.....
Reading the forum I think it’s a combination of torque and too much bow in the water ...

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ozz043 said:
Toothpick

Reading the forum I think it’s a combination of torque and too much bow in the water ...

I agree.

My boat is very new to me so I need to do more experimenting. However, one of the former boat owners told me that after he figured out the correct trim combination from the tabs and motor, he got caught out in some really nasty conditions and the boat handled exceptionally well.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Clocking a few hundred hours on her now I have never questioned the hull in a heavy sea...
It’s a calm sea she plays up ...

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My input on your original questions.

It seems several models of Grady list to port when on the dock. I assume it is galley related, due to the fridge and additional glass for the cabinet, etc. My Marlin also has microwave and AC unit on port side, and batteries too. Tough to offset this weight by just the weight of a toilet and hot water tank. But we all agree that the boat listing to port an inch while tied to the dock is no big deal.

I play with the tabs quite a bit. I don't notice a tilt to port when running, but I'll look for it this summer. Regardless, just tab out of it whichever way it tilts. Differences in wind, tide, speed, direction the waves are hitting the hull, and placement of beers, butts etc. all can effect equilibrium. Sometimes I'll actually tab up and down to cut quartering seas more smoothly. Like the suggestions before, get on plane and find the sweet spot trimming the engines (notice if one engine is trimmed higher than another that will also torque your boat one way or the other....). After the boat is "happy" with your RPM etc... then mess with the tabs, and don't be shy. It's why they are there.

Regarding hole shot, I noticed a minor benefit to hole shot when I switched from 3 blades to 4. More surface area to "grip" the water= less cavitation and more lift. I also noticed with the 4 bladers that I don't need to trim the motors out much. My fuel economy suffered a touch, but I'm in a better spot on the Yamaha torque-curve with my ass-heavy Marlin. Call Ken at Prop Gods to discuss your situation, he will ask you several questions like desired top end, desired fuel burn, etc... and hook you up with a suggestion of 3 blades or 4 and which pitch/diameter to try.

My 2c

Randy

Grady268MA

Reaction score
So best day yet off non listing.
Started with engines up 2-3 short clicks.
Then a little bow down trim on port side and occasionally offset on starboard.
I'm finding the listing does comeback when we exceed 17 knots.
I'm guessing at higher speeds the wind is blowing the bow down?
thanks for all the input

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Grady268MA said:
So best day yet off non listing.
Started with engines up 2-3 short clicks.
Then a little bow down trim on port side and occasionally offset on starboard.
I'm finding the listing does comeback when we exceed 17 knots.
I'm guessing at higher speeds the wind is blowing the bow down?
thanks for all the input

The faster you go, the less boat there is in the water. You will likely need to adjust engines and/or tabs again based on speed. This is not abnormal.