It finally happened. My new to me 270.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ram seals just wear out if they are not exercised often. It’s an easy fix if you can get everything turning. The end cup wrench is a requirement and they come with the sea star rebuild kits. It sounds like you know about these since you mentioned the thread protection cap. I find that if I just spin the wheel when on the trailer between trips my seals last longer. Boats like to be used. I think your props are really close to what I have. I’m hitting 5800 wot and that’s exactly what I wanted. Sweet spot is 3500 rpm. My engines are 2019’s leftovers. These boats are never ending work but it looks like you nailed it. Regarding your trailer, I would say at least 5-6k. It just made a big trip so it’s road worthy. Price depends on what part of the country. That’s would go for a lot in southern California.

Reactions: family affair

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
At first I was turned off by 150's, but they actually push these boats well. I got too hung up on only 300 hp, but the fact I have collectively 5.4 liters of 4 stroke makes for a lot of torque. Inline 4's inherently make a broad torque curve compared to the same displacement v6. Running heavy will certainly be noticed, but we rarely run fully loaded with people, fuel, and gear.
Initially I didn't think this trailer was worth that much, but after looking at new ones, I think your estimate is accurate.
I have my 248 really well dialed in. Issues and maintenance are minimal, but it is a less optioned boat. Storing indoors makes a huge difference on maintenance. Hopefully I'll get all the bugs worked out with this one and the biggest pain will be oil changes.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fam:

What's the height of your garage? 8ft? 10ft?

Looks to me like it may be close without the hard top....

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Door opening is 10'. I've already checked. It will clear.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
After looking almost daily for 2 years (yes, I know I'm nuts), I finally scored a 2005 270 Islander. As crazy as it might sound, I think it was worth it! 2 owner boat; garaged its entire life; owned by a meticulous enthusiast; nearly flawless, and it is now ours! We are still in transit from Mississippi to Ohio - stopped for the night in Nashville.
Thank you Russ, Ocnslr Brian, and barclayrl Ryan for all the help and info.View attachment 19760
Nice Ride Congratulations!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks MB!
It's not the garage in the background. I have another detached garaged. 10' is nice. 13' would have been better. I've seriously considered applying for a variance with the city to go taller, but the rework would require lifting the entire roof. My money tree doesn't have enough leaves on it for that!

Reactions: magicalbill

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Very nice 270...too bad they did not make that boat with a full transom.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I'd love to run it this week, but I have a leaking steering ram, a little water in the port LU, and this engine has not had the balancer shaft assemblies replaced.
The trailer is getting replaced with something that fits the boat better, is an appropriate capacity and fits in my garage. Any idea what a trailer with a 10,500 lb capacity, EOH brakes would sell for in very good condition? 2013

Congrats on the boat . I wish they still made the 270. I could one day be in the market for one.
Trailer . Take it from a guy who makes 2 -3 trips a year traveling from the NC mountains to Florida towing a 228. You seriously don't want to skimp on a trailer if you are towing anything more than an hour . I have done that before . it's not a good feeling not knowing if your trailer can make it . I would scout the net for a used quality trailer or bite the bullet and buy something built for her like an Owens ,Load Rite, Ameri trail ,, Road King and such . Congrats again and enjoy the new boat .

HTHM

Reaction score
Can you make the top lift-offable? Like a scaffold assembly? Lift off place rear of cockpit and lift on at the launch. Or even hinge on the rear most support pipes.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe have a pin and sleeve system. Cut the posts above the base plates by a foot on all points. Then inner line it with a pipe and weld he pipe. Then you could slip the top and frame onto the smaller diameter pipe. Connect it with through pins.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Maybe have a pin and sleeve system. Cut the posts above the base plates by a foot on all points. Then inner line it with a pipe and weld he pipe. Then you could slip the top and frame onto the smaller diameter pipe. Connect it with through pins.
My dad did exactly this on our center console a few years ago to make it easier getting under a tidal bridge

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That only works for tubes that are all at the same angle - I believe.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Can you make the top lift-offable? Like a scaffold assembly? Lift off place rear of cockpit and lift on at the launch. Or even hinge on the rear most support pipes.
Only if I were an Olympic weight lifter. Too heavy.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Only if I were an Olympic weight lifter. Too heavy.
You can rig pulleys. Harken sells a kit meant for taking the top off Jeeps that could probably be used.

Like others I’d be hesitant to scrap the hardtop - why does the boat need to be in the garage?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
A note about the hardtop . Far be it for me to tell another man what to do given it's unsolicited input , but here it goes.

I had a 192 with a bimini top and it had front and side curtains. Yes, you can store that boat I suppose and go with a good down soft top. However,. you will diminish the future market appeal. Storage on any boat is a premium. Removing the hard top you will lose valuable storage in the overhead compartments , the Under the top netting too. Weather protection. Binibi are great but hard tops are better for rain protection , they are thermally cooler than a bimini as bimini tops radiate more heat into the helm space and hardtops offer better water wave protection with stronger connections of strata glass to top to windshield. Your curtains will be much easier to take on and off with the channels in the top versus zippers ,which get stuck ,on a bimini .Hardtops give you higher mounting for VHF antennas. higher up they are the better or further your line of sight is . Thus the further you vhf signal goes. Hardtops make great radar platforms and they make great mounting for search lights and flir modules. Lastly hardtops just add nice lines to the Walkaround style Grady. I have had both soft and hardtops and the hardtop wins the day in terms of adding legitimate functionality and style . I would seriously think twice about removing it from your beautiful boat .

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats on a really nice looking boat. I can't believe your garage can fit that boat even without the top. I'm envious! Yup, losing the top is a shame, but she's not your first boat and you know what you're doing, so good luck with her.

Rob