It's a wrap!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
She's put to bed. With help from "She who must be obeyed" it took about 4 hours. Been using the same wood since owning the boat. It's not hard to do, but there is a learning curve as far as trimming and fitting the plastic so it looks somewhat respectable when finished. Been doing it myself for many years and can always justify some new fishing gear with the money saved here!

Wood support and nylon web strapping ready for plastic.

DSC02099.JPG

Cut and tucked to fit.

DSC02100.JPG

All tightened up with vents on top.

DSC02101.JPG

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Joe. Thanks Rich. I get all my supplies at Dr. Shrink. I can get 2 wraps from a 24 x 85 roll of 6 mil plastic for around $120, 3 years out of 1500 foot roll of 1/2 strapping for $30 and I normally use a roll of tape which is $10 or so. I don't buy vents, It's actually easier to make them yourself. The zippered door and wood support get saved and re-used every year so I guess it all adds up to around $80 a year to do it myself. The heat gun I bought is no longer available a Dr. Shrink.

This is the one I bought from them years back for around $350 if my memory serves me. (I never have used the extentions that came with it)

So aside the ammortized cost of the heat gun, It runs me $80 a year and a half day of my time. The last time I paid to have it done was when I still had my Adventure 208 and paid 4 to 5 times that. I know my limitations and am more than happy to pay professionals their due but every year I kept feeling like I could do this. One year I tried the boat cover thing. I paid $200 for it and sure enough it tore before the first winter was through. Now I smile as the snow slides off. Also, as an added benefit, I posted on another subject that my wife and I chased away some late winter blues by climbing in, listening to some tunes and sharing a pitcher of margaritas. Try doing that under a dark, stinky canvas! Anyway, I get some satisfaction from doing it. Some guys might say that $80 a year is still a lot but I KNOW my "baby" is well protected!

weatherbymag

Reaction score
If you guys are interested I have a commercial account set up with DR. Shrink and can buy wholesale from them.

Although shipping charges often make it not worth it.

I find for the film to visit a small boat shop and purchase it there or have them order the bulk rolls, shipping to them is free.

I can get the heat guns and other items at some pretty nice prices.

richie rich

Reaction score
WB, how much are the heat guns with the discount? I currently have the old school large diameter propane gun, ie, no trigger....I've seen the trigger guns in action and its nice to have the fingertip control...but at 350, replacing what still works isn't cost effective for the DIY'er.