It's Heavy

cl60pilot

Reaction score
I took my 88 Sailfish and weighed it at 9100#s. Trailer is about 1500#s.

Twin Johnson 200 OceanRunners.
Does anyone know why it's so heavy?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the trailer is a roller it may be closer to #2000. They aren't light boats.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Newer models weigh around 6,000 without engines , add fuel water and gear etc you are right where you should be.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you were full of fuel and had some gear on board, then that number seems about right. Fuel is heavy, and Grady's are not light boats, they use solid fiberglass instead of cored materials throughout most of the boat. Heavy weight is not such a bad thing, yeah you might be slightly slower then other boats and burn a little more fuel, but when seas kick up you will be happy you weight more then other boats. I've been on lighter boats that do worse on fuel as well due to poor hull design so be glad you have a decent hull design below ya and a little weight to help you vut through some waves rather then pound over them. As mentioned above, your trailer might be closer to 2000lbs, my dual axle roller trailer for my 22 that I just sold was 1450lbs advertised, but I'm positive it is a little more then that even, and your trailer is bigger. When you add everything up you would be surprised how much a boat and trailer will weigh.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GF22 - the entire sides and forwad lower bow area of the hull are cored, as well as most horizontal surfaces on deck.

It's the gas and trailer pumping up the weight, boat is less than 6K lbs.
And I don't think Grady counts the hartop in the catalog specs on this model - add that.

JeffN

Reaction score
Go on the Grady site and access the old catalogs, they give the weights in there. Mine is an '83 Kingfish, in '83 the Kingfish was a sailfish with I/O, anyway IIRC they gave the weight of the outboard boats at 5,400 lbs. with no power. I figured that my boat weighed in around 7,500 lbs all up with fuel and water etc. I don't have a hardtop. My boat previously had twin mercruiser 470 I/O. Now I have a 496 single and the boat is lighter. Check out the old catalogs and after you launch the boat weigh the trailer.

freddy063

Reaction score
I friend of mine picked up a boat a few years ago from Flordia and was wondering why it was pulling so hard. After a couple of hundred miles, he took out the bilge plug and let all the water out. the rest of the trip went better.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob you are correct about the core from the sides up, my mistake on that, and you are 100% correct hard tops are not standard equipment, advertised weights are with standard equip only so any packages or electronics etc are added weight, and the hardtop is a few hundred including the pipework itself, also engines are not included in these weights, batteries might not even be included.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GF22, and if Grady actually used more glass instead of coring, I figure boat will be heavier, a lot heavier.

Balsa is light as a feather.

All the horizontal surfaces in the boat, with the exception of the hardtop coring, just about any one you can step on, however, are cored with checkerboard plywood or sheet plywood, a much heavier material than balsa.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Its a heavily built boat the transom on mine is dang near an inch thick!! Add gas water gear ect.