It's official - 228 is no more :-(

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I asked Grady and they confirmed. I don't get it. I'm checking with my local dealer but if you want one of these, jump on the next one you find (after a survey).

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:00:26 +0000
To: 'Larry McVoy' <lm@mcvoy.com>
CC: "Danny Meixensperger (danny@cvmarine.com)" <danny@cvmarine.com>
Subject: RE: 228 discontinued?

We are discontinuing that model. Although it is a great boat and everyone that has one loves it, there just isn't a large enough of a market to keep it in our line.

So glad to hear that you love your Grady!!

Gwen Edwards, Sales
252-714-4162
gedwards@gradywhite.com

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I fish a lot, I have a wife and two kids that like to accompany me. There is no better configuration for us than a WA. My cabin gets used on every, single, trip. They go down there to nap, get out of the rain, we keep all our stuff down there. The sailfish is large enough that my son and I can overnight on it comfortably when we run down south for Cobia. I'd love a CC to fish on, life dictates otherwise. Our first boat was a Seafarer, fantastic platform for a small family with great fishability, sad to see it go but it's a business.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I fish a lot, I have a wife and two kids that like to accompany me. There is no better configuration for us than a WA. My cabin gets used on every, single, trip. They go down there to nap, get out of the rain, we keep all our stuff down there. The sailfish is large enough that my son and I can overnight on it comfortably when we run down south for Cobia. I'd love a CC to fish on, life dictates otherwise. Our first boat was a Seafarer, fantastic platform for a small family with great fishability, sad to see it go but it's a business.
Basically how we use our 228, leave the dock at 530-6AM, wife goes to the cuddy once the sunrise is over while my daughter and I fish. With a family, I can’t see making a CC or DC work, especially with how my wife is a boating but not fishing fan. I wouldn’t be comfortable in a 208 with the young kids and an open transom.

Curious the # of sales for the 232 vs 228 vs 208.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Our first boat was a Seafarer, fantastic platform for a small family with great fishability, sad to see it go but it's a business.
It's weird, I sort of get it, I started on a center console and loved how open it was. I didn't really like the look of a walk around but it has grown on me. All you need is one long run on a cold day and you're in love with that big warm helm.

The strange thing is my dealer told me he's sold more 228's than all other Grady-White models put together. Why kill that cash cow?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's a shocker. I thought the 228 was still a model in demand.
They probably sold 30 last year, but 60+ of the same size dc.
The good news is: for those that own them, depreciation will slow and/or values will start going up over time.

Reactions: Bread

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's weird, I sort of get it, I started on a center console and loved how open it was. I didn't really like the look of a walk around but it has grown on me. All you need is one long run on a cold day and you're in love with that big warm helm.

The strange thing is my dealer told me he's sold more 228's than all other Grady-White models put together. Why kill that cash cow?
A number of years ago I took the family across the Chesapeake from Annapolis to Lowes Marina Wharf, in the Seafarer. We tied up and then the skies opened, lucky for us we happened to be inside when this went down. We watched through the torrential rain as a group of 3 guys and their girlfriends arrived, soaked, in a smaller CC with no T top. The looks on these guys faces was that of dead men, my wife even remarked that she'd have torn me apart if that was us. We finished our meal and left, in the rain because we wanted to get back before dark. The wettest we got was on the walk onto the boat.

Reactions: Legend and sailUSVI

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just another sign of a challenging boating market, even in times of high demand. I suspect it’s a combination of supply chain, demand overall, production time, and materials costs. While these boats make sense for many areas of the country, it’s still a limited market of people that are actually able to buy them new.

I love a CC, maybe I’m in the minority on this forum, but their versatility and ‘convenience’ features are noteworthy for me. I personally go on a boat to be outside not in a cabin. I bet it’s just a lot easier and cheaper to make CCs DCs for GW - less lead time and production more focused on simpler/streamlined product line maybe - that can deliver finished boats quicker to dealer.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pointed Rose is correct. besides, they sell mostly Freedoms and CC's nowadays. Like Blagrauna said, it's a business.

It doesn't matter what we personally think of them, they need to focus on what makes the company cash. My selling dealer in Fla didn't stock any new Walkarounds for the 9 years I did business with them. ALL Freedoms and Center Consoles. I bought my 2018 Marlin while I still could.

I am privileged to get to write occasional columns for Anchorline and their digital newsletter..what's it called? Docklines..that's it. Because of that connection, I know Gwen Edwards and most of the front office and they make solid decisions based on the realities of business. Believe me, they know what they're doing.

Hang onto yours, Lucky; KY Grady... The value will only go up over time.

Ettatouffée

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t even want to think about how difficult/expensive they will be to find/purchase in the next 5 years.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Now women want bowriders..I mean...Dual Consoles... more lounging space, more cushions, more cupholders... what they really want is a pontoon boat...poor guy just wants to go fishing...thinks he has to justify it to the wife...sadness....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am holding a candle light vigil with my boat tonight in Cullowhee,NC. I am in a time of sorrow. So,please respect me and my family as we make it through this difficult time. Also,please respect my wishes as I enter the transfer portal in college football. I want to thank my old coaches .

Grady built their brand on the Walk Around. They invented it and it was who they were for 3 decades. The 228 was a staple in the fleet . I guess just like people don't go to Catskills anymore for Kellermans summer fun, The market for walkarounds is not what it once was. Many here love our walkarounds be they the 208 to the Marlin. I love my 228. It is a true SUV of the water.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Give me a 375 Freedom, I won't feel embarrassed by the dual console, or the family features.
You go up one foot each time, when you move from a 208 to a 228, to a 232. Makes sense to eliminate the middle model.

Lucky, I thought from your post title that you had sold yours. at least it wasn't that.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
They love the CCs and DCs these days. Too bad.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Give me a 375 Freedom, I won't feel embarrassed by the dual console, or the family features.
You go up one foot each time, when you move from a 208 to a 228, to a 232. Makes sense to eliminate the middle model.

Lucky, I thought from your post title that you had sold yours. at least it wasn't that.
If Grady gave me a 375, I guess I could tool around in it . lol. I had a 192 and loved the boat. I could buy a dual console sand bar queen. I ain't proud .

• Haha
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Now if they gave me a 47 Canyon... I'd cut the bow seats out and fish the hell out of it...:cool:

I do like sand bar queens...less people fishing where I am... Of course, the sand bar queens don't miss ME at all....

Reactions: mhinch

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise. If you Google Grady White you get “Grady White Dual and Centre Console Saltwater Fishing Boats”. Over here in Oz the 228 is the largest Grady you can tow without a wide load permit and all the restrictions that come with it. I’m glad I got mine when I did. Had centre consoles up to this point. Great for fishing but we have a couple of coral lagoons on the Southern Great Barrier Reef where you can overnight so the walkaround is the best compromise for fishing from a cabin boat. Sad to see it go.