Jabsco Electric Head Problems

boatino

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this has been discussed a few times but I just need some more clarification. I have a 2000 Marlin with a Jabsco Electric Macerator Head. This summer it would work intermittently. Almost never when on 12 volt battery power alone. I would need to be plugged into shore power but sometime it wouldn't even make noise and just blow the breaker. Now it does nothing but blow the breaker. I've done a little research and replacement kits are about $300+. Is it easier just to replace the toliet with a new version? Can these be changed over to manual toliets? Is there a better, reasonably priced alternative to Jabsco? I had the waste tank emptied a few weeks ago but I'm worried about storing the unit over the winter if I can't flush any antifreeze through it. Thanks in advance for your help.

John

ahill

Reaction score
The Jabsco electric can be a troublesome unit.
I replaced the motor on my '98 Sailfish in 2007 and it has run fine since.
Still do normal maintenance such as paper gaskets occasionally. I did impeller, duckbill and top gasket at the same time I replaced the motor.
Check your grounds.
I do flush with freshwater after each trip.
I have found Depco to be knowledgeable and very cordial & helpful over the years.
http://www.depcopump.com/

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too have had a lot of problems with this unit. I tried the rebuilding kit a couple of times and still had problems/leaks and finally purchased a new motor. Put the new motor in a couple of months ago and so far I have had no problems.

Since you are not having leak problems, I doubt a rebuilding kit will do you any good. If all the wiring from the breaker to the motor is fine, you probably need a new motor anyway.

boatino

Reaction score
Lundinroof,

Do you remember where you purchased the motor from and how much? Was it the whole kit for $300+?

John

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I searched the internet and found the best price at go2marine.com. I think that is the correct web site but if not someone on this forum will help me with the correct one. Someone on this forum also recommended them and since then I have ordered a few other items from them. They are easy to deal with and ship immediately.

I purchased the complete motor for about $300 and it came with everything I needed including a couple of hoses I didn't need.

I tried their rebuilding kit and never could get the old pump to not leak. The four pan head screws that they put on the bottom of the pump will "ream" out and are impossible to remove or replace and tighten enough to prevent leaking. Pain in the lower half if you know what I mean.