Jabsco Electric Head Repair

capeguy

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2006 282 Sailfish that I bought in summer of 2011. Great boat. In the fall, I had the boat hauled for winterizing and my mechaninc called to tell me he couldn't winterize the head as it was not working.

I had no problems throughout the summer, rarely used, but worked fine. It is a Jabsco electric w/macerator.

I went down to check it out and I blow a fuse everytime I rotate the switch to either flush or fill the bowl. Either way the fuse blows. Mechanic asked if I got something jammed in there to seize the pump, but it had not been used since the last time I had pumped it out and flushed it...

I had to punt until the spring as they needed to get it wrapped.

Now its uncovered and I am goign to investigate. Anyone have this happen to them? could be a short or maybe something did get in there.

Any thougths?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
you prob will end up taking it apart. if you can get yourself some long plastic gloves, you can first open the flush ball and see if there is anything jamed in there.
i'd also give it a good look over for cracks. if he couldn't winterize it, water could have been left in the toilet internals only to freeze over the winter. it might be better in the long run replacing the entire unit. good luck...

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with mine... the grinder blades would get jammed up with TP... even though only a couple sheets were used by the ladies... After I took it apart the second time I had enough... Replaced the toilet with a real electric system and not what appeared to be a conversion... also upgraded to a freshwater pressurized fill... I tapped into the water supply for the sink... much simpler to flip on the water breaker then to open the seacock... stays fresher in the head too...

ahill

Reaction score
Take the electric conversion off & disassemble upper and lower chambers. Spray with clorox as you proceed to disinfect.
I agree prob a jam at the chopper. When flushing make sure you run the pump on the fill side to make sure the waste in the pump is fully flushed.
Remaining p[aper turns to near concrete if allowed to dry.

capeguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will let you know what i find. Wondering if it is simply a short as the fuse blows whether the switch goes to flush or fill. A jam would not blow a fuse on the fill side, would it?

I will find out!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I didn't know that the head was an electric conversion. On my Marlin (06) it is an electric that uses the freshwater.
On my (02) 282 it was a manual flush. Never had an issue.

ahill

Reaction score
If the pump is jammed or the motor has been infiltrated by water & seized, the fuse will blow.

capeguy

Reaction score
Spoke to the tech at jabsco, he suggested I remove the conversion pump assembly and test on the bench. removed it today will test over the weekend.