Jeff at GW customer service does it again

Hokie

Reaction score
may need to repower my 1998 268 Islander that has a 98 250 ox66. We talked about a number of issues and options, the 250 4s yam being the best for me although I can see why twin 150's would be great, just not worth the $$ for my use. I have called them in the past, what a great outfit they have at GW headquarters, always professional and super helpful.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put a Suzuki 300 on my Islander as I was concerned about a performance loss going to a 250 4s from a 250 2s. Definitely a great improvement over the OX66. If I got an acceptable offer, I'd probably sell the boat and upgrade to a 330 Express and repower that with Suzuki 300s. Great engines.

Hokie

Reaction score
I hear ya re. the zuke but the yam dealer is near my house by boat-convenient, and the zuke dealer is a trailer ride away. Jeff said based on other customers experience, the new 250 4s would out perform the 2s ox66 with better economy and the twin 150s would do even better with regards to performance but not as good economy as the single 4s and the twins would cost more as well to perchase

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hokie said:
...and the twin 150s would do even better with regards to performance but not as good economy as the single 4s and the twins would cost more as well to perchase

All true.

But they are really SWEET on this hull... :D

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When going from a 2s 250, to get equivalent power and speed you would need a 4s of 275 hp roughly and still might lag a slight bit, so as long as your ok with running slower and having to goose the engines a little harder to get on plane then a 250 will not be a bad choice for your hull. It will be a bit better on fuel then your 2s is now and it will be good power but not ideal for the hull. Twin 150's is the best option, but if your not running offshore or looking for more speed the extra price tag might not be for you. I personally never though 250 was enough for a 26, and from personal experience over the years have seen a lot more sngle engine islander's get repowered way sooner then twin powered islander's due to the added beating that single is taking from that size boat. As long as your ok with losing some speed the 250 seems like it will suit your needs well, and an F250 will surely last longer then your 2s 250 did as long as you care for it. I do agree a single 300 Xuke has seemed to be a great match but as you state, you wan tto sue a dealer who you trust and is local to you and that in my book goes a long way as well when choosing an engine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You guys with the Islander and 275 are fortunate, you have very good power options, in single or twins, to meet all needs.

Same for the Gulf, with the exception of the bracket change.

Hokie

Reaction score
gradyfish22
according to Jeff, the 268 will plane faster, cruise faster and top out faster with the 250 4s. this is all due to yamahas more recent design changes with the 250 4s specifically with regards to changes of mechanical issues like timing and computer stuff. will cruise at 28 vs 25, top out at closer to 40 vs 37, i.e yam gets more out of this motor the past few years.
for twins, top out would be the major change at perhaps 46.
Brian may comment, but economy would go from 1.6 mpg to just over 2 mpg with single and to near 2 mpg with twins.
I would be interested in Brian's numbers including performance, economy and estimated purchase price including rigging charge
thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hokie said:
gradyfish22
according to Jeff, the 268 will plane faster, cruise faster and top out faster with the 250 4s. this is all due to yamahas more recent design changes with the 250 4s specifically with regards to changes of mechanical issues like timing and computer stuff. will cruise at 28 vs 25, top out at closer to 40 vs 37, i.e yam gets more out of this motor the past few years.

Vs. a properly tuned and healthy 250 2S (with the same prop)? I have to call BS. The MPG will improve with the 4S, easier starting and cool digital controls but it's also the same size block as the 200 and 225 (they were generous with the HP ratings for those engines). They're good motors (I love my Yami's) but don't let a salesman feed you BS.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Doesn't the F250 have the addition of variable valve timing over the F200 and F225, and operate on hi test to meet the 250HP rating?

Grog, I have to admit, the BS does sound good though.

Hokie

Reaction score
So Grog, are you saying Jeff at Grady customer service (not a motor salesman) is clueless. He stated the recent 250 4s's provide more performance than older 4s's and more than my 250 ox66 1998 engine. If this is not true, I would like to know as I may be purchasing one. i dont want to make a mistake that I regret. The 300 zuke would be good I am sure, but not convenient for service for me and may be a bit more expensive. The yamaha dealer is on the water not far from my house on the water but the zuke place is a haul and a half. If the boat would perform less well than it does now with the ox66, I would not want it as the 250ox66 is acceptable but just barely adequate however I am happy with it - I want no less performance for sure though.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hokie, how do you define performance?

250OX66 vs. F250:

Noise?
Smoke?
Time to accelerate?
Top speed?
Fuel usage?
maintenance cost?
2stroke Oil cost?
Weight?
etc.

And can the F250 do 250HP w/o 93 octane fuel?
Or do you intend to use 93 octane anyway?
And what's wrong with your OX66?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady only uses 4S Yamaha power on new boats. On a hull that can take 2 or 4 stroke power are they really going to push you towards 2 stroke?

The F250 is a nice engine but has a higher octane requirement (or say goodbye to 250 HP). It will not have the low end power of your OX-66 but that's where the 2 stroke shines. Everyone has a different opinion of what is acceptable power for their boat. If you feel the 250 OX is just barely adequate, you may not be happy with the F250. If someone in the area can give you a ride in an Islander/F250 combo it would make things easier. I wouldn't want to drop $20K and not be happy.

Honestly you'll probably be happier with the 275 Verado (or 300) or the 300 Zuke. I'm not sure if they'll hang the F350 on your boat but it'll move. Whoever thought up the F300 should be fired. Who would want an 800 pound 300 HP motor?

Hokie

Reaction score
I was told the 350 would hurt the boat due to high torque on the transom. I wonder if any folks on here have a 268 with a single 250 4s and do 4s's really need the high test?

See Saw

Reaction score
I am keeping my OX 66.... what is wrong with your motor? If you are getting rid of it let me know. I'd rather keep the 0x66 than move to a F stroke of the Same power. If you upgrade motors I would go with Suzuki 300 or Etec 300 before making a lateral move like that. You can Bolt a low hour 0x66 without modifications for 5K. that is a LOT of Gas (15k). I can put up with some smoke fire that kind of cash. let me know if you are going to part out your 0x66. As a side note I have only seen low test or high test on the water. You will be buying high test as there is No mid grade.There goes your MPG savings.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hate to say it, too bad the 300 HPDI didn't have it's problems, that's the only motor Yamaha ever offered would be an noticable improvement over the 250 OX66.

Most 4 stroker buyers don't care about acceleration and if he wants Yamaha, all he can do is the F250.
So it will be quieter at idle, no smoke, less fuel costs, no 2 stoke oil remember to fill, and hopefully, the 6 yr extended warranty included.

For Yamaha 4 stroke fans - like the 200 HP range to approach the venerable 200 HPDI; Yamaha needs a light weight 4 stroker, same goes for the 300 range. Otherwise it's Suzie's 175 and 300, respectively.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And by the way, 250HP is 250HP no matter if it's gas, diesel, or electric, steam, gas turbine, you name it, when the motor loads up to 250HP load, it will reach the same terminal speed given equally efficient and properly sized props, not counting for any weight difference between the motors in comparison.

Also, computers don't generate power, nor do igntition or valve timing adjustments.

Other than top end, the differences are in getting there from a standstill.

That's remimds me, I have to wax my car, it runs better after it is waxed!

gw204

Reaction score
BobP said:
For Yamaha 4 stroke fans - like the 200 HP range to approach the venerable 200 HPDI; Yamaha needs a light weight 4 stroker, same goes for the 300 range. Otherwise it's Suzie's 175 and 300, respectively.

I've heard a 4-cyl F200 is in the works...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, I heard the same thing. The Yamaha factory rep at the NY Boat show this year wouldn't budge on it though, and I squeezed him pretty hard.

In order to get me off his case and walk away, he tossed a few bones about the F350 being good for 450 or 400 , I don't recall which. Not that I was asking.

I fuond out more about Yamaha products from the Mercury factory rep. at the show that day.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Back to the F250 - Yamaha's flagship V6 four stroker.

The marinas by me don't sell 87 octane, they only sell 89 or 93.

But the trailering guys can always get 87.

It must have been the Merc Verados I was thing of, on the hi test comment.