Johnson 200 Oceanrunner 1994

SofaKing$

Reaction score
Intermittent problem with my 200 Oceanrunner 2s on a 22 Seafarer. For about first 30-45 minutes engine is running, it will run WOT at 5500rpm. All of a sudden, it will spit and sputter and drop back to 4800-5000 rpm and never recover (it should be noted that this does not just happen at WOT, it will occasionally do this at any speed at which im crusing). Spin on filter, inline filter, plugs changed several times (filters that is) and engine has good compression on each cylinder. Boat is trailered, so every time it comes in, tank is topped off and Staybil is added to fuel. I have burned 250+ gallons in the past 3 months, so I dont believe fuel is a problem.

It doesnt seem to 'miss' each time i take it out, so im hesitant to take into mechanic to have them diagnose a problem that cant be re-created. Engine runs/starts with no problems otherwise. Anybody out there have any suggestions??

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Possibly an ignition coil shorting out when engine gets hot? Intermittent stuff is really hard to diagnose unless its actually happening. Might have to bring it in , let the mechanic make it happen and the see if he can determine what it is. Better than throwing parts / money at it.

SofaKing$

Reaction score
Thanks John-hopefully i can finish out the fishing season and get someone knowledgeable to look at this winter...