Johnson 225 Question / Help Please

PA228G

Reaction score
The non-tech description is: Since I've owned the boat for 4 yrs it has always been fairly rough at idle (spits after 2-3 minutes of idle), died occasionally when at low rpm leaving / returning dock and really couldn't get full WOT rpm above 4500. Have always attributed it to "lack of use" - hate to admit I've put less than 15 hrs on it in the last 3 yrs. I don't think it's fuel quality (??) since it has been yard winterized each off-season and filled up with new non-ethanol this summer. The final straw was this weekend when the motor wouldn't stay running (except as listed below). Changed the (water sep) fuel filter in line between the tank and the small one on the motor near the fuel pump - no improvement. Without any diagnostic equipment I believe it is the fuel pump because if I periodically (every minute or so) run the electric primer pump for a few seconds it will stay running for as long as I manually (via primer pump) keep feeding it fuel. I know the VRO fuel pumps are expensive so I thought I'd ask here first. I'm not an even close to being an expert but can follow directions very well - so I'm all ears. I'm not adverse to having a pro look at it if anyone can recommend someone near OCMD (pm if you'd like). Thanks in advance.

kmhitecman

Reaction score
IF YOU STILL NEED HELP WITH MOTOR I AM A OMC TECH AND YAMAHA AND MERC.