johnson j200vxsss 200hp Ocen pro

Dbone8619

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
does anyone have a service manuel or know where i can get one i need to get my idel right runs in driveway 1200ish then i get into water and into gear and wants to fie so i have to push in chole and push trottle forward im pretty sure my idel is way to low when im in the water and in gear any ideas on what i can do or where i can get a manuel ive looked everywhere for one its a 2000 johnson j200vxsss 200hp v6 6 carb!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Have you checked spark and compression to all 6 cylinders? That is the first place to start.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If all is good with spark n compression, you can advance timing a few degrees and back off on the throttle to get a 900 in neutral in the water and a 750 in gear setting. Sometimes back throttle air adjustments to zero and add timing to get the rpms. Advanced timing gives better torque at idle.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
If all is good with spark n compression, you can advance timing a few degrees and back off on the throttle to get a 900 in neutral in the water and a 750 in gear setting. Sometimes back throttle air adjustments to zero and add timing to get the rpms. Advanced timing gives better torque at idle.
I have same motor and actually same problem. Is the timing adjusted by the screw on that cigar tube looking thing? Thanks

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes it is. Some models have an added adjustment screw with a locknut under the flywheel also.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First do a link and sync after a spark and comp check

after that set ur base timing with the long screw under the front starboard side of the motor under the flywheels.in the water of course To make it idle at 800 rpm. There is no correct idle timing. The manual gives you a range to set it at within a certain rpm. Afterwards take it out and set the high speed timing to 19° I believe +-1°. That timing matters. Have to get a manual. Sounds like to me ur timing is too far advanced at idle. Causing too high of an idle unloaded on a trailer. And then with back pressure and load it dies.

And if that isnt the problem and you have your link and sync and timing in spec I would turn ur idle screws out a half of a turn to enrichen ur idle mixture to more fuel. As those older twostrokes get hours they start losing compression and suck less fuel in on the intake stroke.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Some of the loopers have fixed idle jets. Sometimes you can experiment putting tooth picks into the brass jets on the front of the carbs. This riches the idle for each individual carb. Do one or 2 at a time to see how it reacts. I’ve rejetted them with smaller air jets to get them to idle better. The one way recirc valves could also be a problem. They screw out of the intake. Be sure the valve is only one way by spraying brake cleaner in each direction. If not one way after cleaning, replace the valve. They cause lots of idle problems.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Usually the high speed timing spec is on a sticker on the top of the air box. The safe adjustment is spec minus 2 deg for high speed.

Last edited:

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First do a link and sync after a spark and comp check

after that set ur base timing with the long screw under the front starboard side of the motor under the flywheels.in the water of course To make it idle at 800 rpm. There is no correct idle timing. The manual gives you a range to set it at within a certain rpm. Afterwards take it out and set the high speed timing to 19° I believe +-1°. That timing matters. Have to get a manual. Sounds like to me ur timing is too far advanced at idle. Causing too high of an idle unloaded on a trailer. And then with back pressure and load it dies.

And if that isnt the problem and you have your link and sync and timing in spec I would turn ur idle screws out a half of a turn to enrichen ur idle mixture to more fuel. As those older twostrokes get hours they start losing compression and suck less fuel in on the intake stroke.
On the looper motors with idle adjustment screws, the screw controls the air flow, not the fuel flow. To richen the fuel, you would turn the screws in so it will slow down the air intake.

Dbone8619

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Have you checked spark and compression to all 6 cylinders? That is the first place to start.
No i have not checked compression but today she ran one hundred but she bad days and good days i dont get it

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One quick way to check a lot of vitals is to do the plastic plier test by removing one spark plug wire at a time while the engine is running at about 1800rpm under a load. This can be done on a trailer at the boat ramp. Just back it in to where the lower is in the water sufficiently but there is still a decent amount of weight on the trailer. Throttle up to 1800 in gear and just start pulling the wires off the plugs one by one. Each cylinder should drop your rpms the same amount and gain them back instantly when you put the wire back. If you have one that doesn’t make a difference, there is a problem with something involving that particular cylinder. ( spark, compression, carb, reed, etc). Just use plastic electrical pliers so you don’t get zapped. Lol. A quick test that covers a lot.