Johnson o/b electrical

gradyrod

Reaction score
Lately I have been having trouble starting my 1997 Johnson 175hp Oceanrunner. It is not the engine, rather it's the control assembly. It is difficult for me to find neutral with the controls. Is there a switch on the control assembly or is it an issue at the motor? Until I find the correct position with the lever, absolutely nothing happens. Once I find the sweet spot, the motor turns right over and starts immediately.

Thanks for any help here!

Gradyrod
1997 Johnson 175hp Oceanrunner
1985 Grady Fisherman 204

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How old are your throttle and shift cables?

Once they start to bind a little, the problem that you described is fairly common. Replacing the cables generally fixes the issue.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's a micro swcth internal in controls, if you open up control you will see it. It's the other wiere comeing out besided T&T wires.

Although I don't advise this to all, I just externally made up an emergency jumper assembly, in case it died altogether, so I'd lean under dash and jumper switch out.
Had to do it when it died after wiggling didn't help.

You may be able to adjust it.

I never fixed it. For anyone else, if the motor is started in gear, boat will take off, that can be a very dangerous situation. That will not happen to me though.

When I sold old Johnnies, I destroyed controls, did not turn over with motor sale.

gradyrod

Reaction score
Hi BobP how have you been? good summer I hope!!

Thanks for the responses, guys! My controls are original, ie 1985 vintage. I know about the T and T wires coming through the side of the shift lever, but where do I find this "micro switch"? Do I take the whole control assembly off and look on the bottom of it? or do I start with the cable replacement? I would think it's easier to replace the micro switch than the cables, so I guess I should start with that??

Gradyrod

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Best summer weekend weather in 10 yrs, that' says it all !
I'm easy to please.
Thanks for asking , hope the same with you.

I recall having to take it apart, but no big deal if you have not done it.
I may be wrong, it's been some while.

Take off the nuts that hold the entire controls in place, look from undeneath.

Then pull up entire assembly out of there. The control cables stay attached.

Then seperate the two halves, then open each halve. You will see the bolts.

You have to take off the outer handle first, I think it a screwed in to splined shaft. Under the plastic trim piece, heat trim piece with hair dryor not to break off it's little tabs to snap it in place.

Then the black outer housing comes off, to expose the two metal sections that get separated and each parted.

Grease things up while in there, clean out old grease first.
Inspect ends of control cables for wear.

If anyone knows otherwise, correct what I'm writing.

catch22

Reaction score
gradyrod said:
Hi BobP how have you been? good summer I hope!!

Thanks for the responses, guys! My controls are original, ie 1985 vintage. I know about the T and T wires coming through the side of the shift lever, but where do I find this "micro switch"? Do I take the whole control assembly off and look on the bottom of it? or do I start with the cable replacement? I would think it's easier to replace the micro switch than the cables, so I guess I should start with that??

Gradyrod

Part # 41 - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/E ... parts.html