Johnson Ocean Pro

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Our Seafarer is powered by a 2000 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro. While winterizing it the other day, the engine was really hard to start and ran rough when running. Engine would only run with the throttle advanced in neutral. After warm up, the engine ran up over 7000 rpm's on it's own and would not shut off with the key or even with the battery switch in the off position. Any ideas what's going on ?

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure if the 2000 is EFI or not but I think it's carbed like my 96 was. If so you either have a stuck throttle cable or stuck floats in the carbs. You could be starting it while it's inadvertently it full throttle. Would explain rough coughing start and then immediate high rpm after warmup. Take cowling and carb cover off before starting again and look to see if your throttle cable for some reason starts to move and or it's just stuck in full throttle. Also take notice of the carbs to see what they do. This might give you an indication of what the issue is. Wish I could be more help.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Not sure if the 2000 is EFI or not but I think it's carbed like my 96 was. If so you either have a stuck throttle cable or stuck floats in the carbs. You could be starting it while it's inadvertently it full throttle. Would explain rough coughing start and then immediate high rpm after warmup. Take cowling and carb cover off before starting again and look to see if your throttle cable for some reason starts to move and or it's just stuck in full throttle. Also take notice of the carbs to see what they do. This might give you an indication of what the issue is. Wish I could be more help.
Thanks, I'll check carb linkage tomorrow. When it does idle, it throttles up and down by itself from a low idle to about 5000 rpm's.