Johnson sail master kicker any good?

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Would a 6hp sail master be a suitable kicker for my 192?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think the sail master series has a modified prop or thrust more designed for sailboats as the name suggests. Usually long shafts as well but might do the trick anyways. I’ve heard others say 8-10hp high thrust. I put a 9.9 Nissan on as my kicker, it’s a 20” shaft and a little long so 15” would probably be better for me.

First325

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
had a sailmaster on my sailboat for years, great motor, differant gearing big prop, would be an excellant kicker, had a generator so it will help keep battery up

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Longer is better, 15" will come out of the water very time the boat rocks side-to-side.

where the bracket is placed on mine, the 20” shaft seems too long just based on the cavitation plate for the lower unit where it sits in the water. I have the bracket on the highest setting, and the motor tilts down and it’s still sitting a little low, so I don’t put the bracket down at all. I see what you’re saying about the side to side rocking though since the kicker is sensitive to that with its placement. I guess I’ll take another look at mine.

I have a 22’ sailboat with a 6 hp 25” and a 9.9 hp 20” for the 20’ overnighter. Both are about the same weight ~3500lbs (not planing so displacement hull speed) and I never get close to maxing the revs on either engine.

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
had a sailmaster on my sailboat for years, great motor, differant gearing big prop, would be an excellant kicker, had a generator so it will help keep battery up

good point about hooking up to help charge the battery