Joined this GW site ... now to buy the boat!

DaleH

Reaction score
Step 1 complete – I joined this site …

Step 2 – Time to find my ideal ‘next’ boat and am seriously considering a GW

To introduce myself I live in New England and have been boating for 45-something years and I’m not too much older than that. My Dad used to buy old boats and fix them up, so we’ve done everything from putting new planks into carvel hulled boats, to engine riser work, plumbing & re-wiring work – you name it.

Years ago I bought an extensively vandalized 25’ Parker cabin model where every gauge, light, knob, switch, & pump was smashed to bits by kids with hammers or such, and where every wire & hose, to include the hydraulic steering hoses, OB harness, wiring runs, and even every wire under the OB hood, was cut apart by the same punks. Let’s just say I bought the boat for penny cents-on-the-dollar, that were going for almost $80K for the hull with motor alone at the boat shows the year I bought her.

She became my pet project and life for a while, so much so that I started the website for owners of Parker boats, of which some of you may know of the Classic Parker website. Here’s my boat (for sale!), admittedly :spam , as I have her rigged today: http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6

She’s equipped for overnights with a custom teak & mahogany galley with a SS 2-burner propane stove and sink, plus 15-gallons of freshwater. I outfitted her for general charter fishing for bass, blues, or tuna … but have decided that I don’t get to fish enough for myself as is, so I’m going to go smaller and just fish for myself, haha! My ‘big girl’ is going to need a new motor soon and I honestly don’t want to pour the $$ into a 250hp or 300hp OB. She was just surveyed, was the 1st boat in a while (per the surveyor) where every system, switch, or function tested out perfectly. Plus she exceeded USCG Title 46 Inspection requirements for a Vessel for Hire, so she now wears that USCG inspection placard on her. So if anyone wants a boat with a tremendous > 100 square-foot cockpit for chartering ... there she is.

I’m seriously looking at a late 90s GW Tournament 225G model. The folks @ GW have been wonderful and they have already given me the performance specs, Owner’s Manual, and copies of the original advertisements for that year’s model. For the record, my older brother who’s also on here (Nauti Buoys) owns an ’88 GW Gulfstream with twin Yam 150s and the boat has been flawless! His ‘old’ motors turned screws to hit 51mph this Spring after launching on new bottom paint and I finally talked him into adding a fuel computer and he’s getting 2.6mpg on old dirty 2-strokes while cruising @ high 20s to almost 30mph. One cannot beat that!

Anyways, I hope to be a solid contributor here :noob to this extended GW family and would love to hear any feedback from owner’s of the 22’ dual console models. For one thing, my concern is storage of all of my fishing tackle – haha! But it looks like rods up to 6-1/2’ could be stored in the port-side console.

Cheers!