Journey cabin sink question

tgr23

Reaction score
We just purchased a 2004 258 and we're thrilled with the boat. It's our first boat with 4 stroke power, and twin outboards!! Amazing.

One problem we've had a couple of times is the sink faucet getting pushing to the on position and then when the fresh water pump is turned on for the outside shower we end up with wet cushions! How has others solved this problem? my first impulse is to pull up the access panel and install a valve in the water line leading off the fresh water pump to the sink. Good or bad idea?

Also seems like there is no consensus on how best to winterize the fresh water system. Or is there?

Thank you in advance.
Travis

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It happened to us a couple of times. If you place items near the faucet and they bounce around during the day, they can "turn on" the water and make a mess. Since we rarely used the sink, I found the juncture where it splits to go to the outside transom shower and replaced the tee with an elbow disabling the sink. It is located near the head holding tank up on the forward bulkhead wall.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A shutoff could work, and easy to install. Another idea is to install a different type of faucet. Or maybe there's a way to 'secure' the faucet so it can't be accidentally turned on (small bungee or velcro?). I don't know what your faucet looks like, so I'm just guessing on that last one.

I take it you only have a cold water tank (no hot water heater)? I'm used to dealing with cruisers so I need to remember to 'scale down'! I'll also assume you don't have a city water hook-up?

How easily can you access the holding tank and the tube that come out of it? What type of connection is it and is it located at the top or bottom of the tank? I always try and avoid putting antifreeze in the tank since it just means that there will be more "flushing" to do in the Spring. Generally speaking, you run the system dry, then pump antifreeze through the lines. None is needed in the tank since whatever small amount is left in there won't cause damage. If you can respond back with some specifics about your setup, I can offer more suggestions.

tgr23

Reaction score
No hot water on the boat. The faucet is designed in a way that I don't actually see any way to secure the handle. I think I'll probably investigate further the valve option. From what I can see it looks like there are two lines coming off the pump. I assumed one was going to the outside shower and one to the sink.

I just looked at the tank once but the hose is at the bottom of the tank. It's a ten gallon tank. I like the idea of just running some antifreeze through the system and then running it dry. I assume some flushing in the spring will clear out the dried antifreeze.

Anything I should be careful about when pulling the full access panel over the water tank?

Thanks
Travis

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How easily can you reach the tank fitting to remove it? If it's not too bad, you empty/drain the tank/lines (simply leaving the faucets on) then remove the line from tank and stick it (extend it if needed) in a gallon jug of antifreeze. This jug essentially becomes your new "holding tank". Then, all you do is turn on both faucets till a good stream of pink comes out. Done. For my cruiser, I made up a 3-way valve so I didn't even have to remove any lines and could introduce AF into the system (after the tank) from a very convenient location.

The other way is to drain the tank/lines again, then put about 1 or 2 gallons of AF in the tank and again run the faucets till pink comes out. With this way, Springtime flushing will just take longer (and a little vinegar/bleach will help) since you're also flushing the tank. If you don't drink the water, it's less of an issue.

tgr23

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. Once I get to look in there more fully when the boat is out of the water I'll figure out my options!
Travis

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Travis. If you haven't tried this yet: The faucet folds into the sink to allow you to lay the cushion over the sink. I keep the faucet folded into the sink and have not had the accidental flow you have.

I'll add that, after 11 years of happy ownership, I do not recall ever using this sink for anything other than storage. Would much prefer to have a real storage bin there!

Rob