Journey sink backflow prevention

tgr23

Reaction score
I noticed that when we left a towel in our sink it was soaked after a day out on the ocean. Our fresh water system is never filled. I can only assume that water is backing up through the thru hull. Is that true? If so I need to plug that sink drain. Has anyone found the appropriate size expandable bilge plug? Or are we talking wine cork?

Thanks
Travis

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Travis. My sink can do the same thing in bumpy seas. I went for the low-brow fix. I got a few corks from Home Depot and one fit great.

We never use the sink, so the cork is pretty much a permanent addition. Would much rather have storage than the sink...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Corks are one way to go. Moeller makes expanding rubber plugs in a multitude of sizes - pretty cheap, too.

But... take a look at the drain hose between the sink and the thru hull. It sounds like it's a straight run? There "should" be an upward loop at the thru-hull fitting, before continuing to the sink.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A loop would be a good idea. At least on my boat, I don't believe there is any easy way to access to take a look.

Rob