joy stick feature

patrick16

Reaction score
Does the joy stick feature on twin Yamahas have the feature to hold a GPS position when fishing? Does the joy stick feature have any downside other than cost?

Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Depends on the year and system. I have a 2022 and it has fish point. It is great for bottom fishing, no more anchoring

Cregeis

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Yamaha has Stay Point which keeps the boat in a fixed point however I would say the downside is the constant shifting of gears which has to be hard on the lower unit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don't fish, so I don't know about that aspect.

I have seen firsthand that the joystick option on twin Verado's do NOT bring a boat sideways to a dock when the opposing wind is blowing the vessel off. Ultimately, lines were thrown and the dock hands pulled the boat in hand over hand.

I have heard from a reliable Captain that his Marlin joystick-equipped with 300's has the same problem.

I listen to the gears banging and the lower units flexing and all kinds of tornadic maelstroms of water being generated by engines revving up in harbors...

You couldn't give me one of those joystick boats.

Again, maybe they're a plus for anglers, but it's my theory that you should learn how to drive a boat and not rely on joysticks.

A dose of basic seamanship and a bow thruster should get you over the finish line most every time.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Agreed you should know how to drive a boat without joystick, but having said that I have it on my 271 canyon and its the best thing going. I don't notice or have banging gears while in use. there are several modes and level setting
on the helmaster system. They are all different for different situations. I have a friend that has verado's with joystick and it does not even compare to the helmaster system. Having had a boat without and with I will pick with every time.