Joystick steering problems

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a 2019 335 Freedom with 3x Yamaha 300F with less than 200 hours on the clock.
I have repeatedly experienced steering malfunctions when leaving dock or coming back, ie at low speed in close quarters. Generally it has happened without using the joystick but taking off and using the two outboard motors to steer with. Center motor stays idling. The motor runs but the steering is locked or works for only one or two motors. Always either port or starboard engines lock up.
I don't have a thruster so it is really painful to get the boat back to dock, the marina guys do a good job in assisting.
So I asked the Yamaha guy at the FLIBS about it and he recommended to check batteries as it often is a question of low battery, well not in my case the boat this morning came off the charger and it still happened.
He also showed me a retrofit kit that would replace the hydraulic ones with an electric rams at the motors kind of like the new motors have.

Anymore experience with this issue as I have not yet contacted a dealer but I am under warranty still and I hope it would cover also the steering parts and not only the motors.
actually Yamaha may be more appropriate to contact than dealer.

h

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Update on situation:
removed all batteries to check them out. Put them back in after all tested like new. A PIA job, with all the heavy gauge wires / cables etc.
Anyway took a day and a half sweating bullets.
After a few days I launched boat at marina and cranked the engines, Only one started.....turned on all batteries and all started without further error messages of low voltage and no ECU or PCU connected.
Lift truck back into shed and let it sit for a day or so.
Reasoning that some breaker must be off, maybe one I cannot find, maybe a poor contact at some battery etc.......
Testing for power off batteries and all test fine up to circuit breakers so nothing there.
I decide to rip them all out anyway and what did I find, #3 BATTERY MINUS BUS CONNECTION WAS NOT ON!!!!!!!!!! So the thick negative cable that runs the back of the batteries was connected to 1,2 and 4 but 3 was loose/off.
Ok back to getting them installed again and I try in shed to turn on ignition. All fine, I start "All" and miraculously they all start in normal sequence. Of course immediately shut off as there is no cooling water around.
So that is where I am now, over the weekend I make a new try to go out and hope that all works .

moklodge01

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Call the factory. There is a grounding block in the stern of the boat that has caused this problem before. I don't remember more of the details.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My only advice with the steering issue is that I have seen many a case where electrical connections "look" good but aren't. Looks like that paid off for you here. I have seen where slight discoloration on a battery terminal caused issues.
My only other comment is starting out of water. In case you are not aware, water pumps in outboards are not like cars. The impellers are friction fit rubber on stainless that requires water for lube. Starting them dry regularly can result in pump wear and/or ingesting a chunk of water pump into a very expensive engine

seasick

Reaction score
My only advice with the steering issue is that I have seen many a case where electrical connections "look" good but aren't. Looks like that paid off for you here. I have seen where slight discoloration on a battery terminal caused issues.
My only other comment is starting out of water. In case you are not aware, water pumps in outboards are not like cars. The impellers are friction fit rubber on stainless that requires water for lube. Starting them dry regularly can result in pump wear and/or ingesting a chunk of water pump into a very expensive engine
If you look at the OP last message, it it seems that this isn't a bad ground issue but rather a user induced NO ground issue. Many of us, including myself, have left off a bround battery common cable after reinstalling a battery back. No mysteries here, just a small chuckle.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you look at the OP last message, it it seems that this isn't a bad ground issue but rather a user induced NO ground issue. Many of us, including myself, have left off a bround battery common cable after reinstalling a battery back. No mysteries here, just a small chuckle.
I gathered that. I'm just making the point that I have personally experienced on more than one occasion when a connection looked good and wasn't. He could put everything back together and have another issue the next trip out. When it comes to 12v systems cleaning terminals should be an automatic part of trouble shooting.
I'll get off my soap box. :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
In my book I ground is a type of bad ground. We’re all on the same page!

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
FYI
it all started with erroneous joystick control or rather one engine dropping off etc. that is when I pulled batteries as I wanted to inspect #4 battery that cannot be reached for inspection of water level. (Boat was delivered with flooded batteries, stupid savings) All batteries tested like new with both resistance and load check. When reinstalling them I am sure I connected all negative poles on backside of batteries, they are all on same cable. Most likely #3 anyway came loose and that was the issue after having reinstalled all.
originally there probably was a weak connection somewhere causing the erroneous behavior but don't know where it would have been.
yesterday at shake down tour all worked flawlessly and I hope I'm not jinxed by saying so.
so far so good and I agree with these highly sensitive electronic control systems all connecti9ns need to be maintained and protected.
thanks for all comments and advice,
H
ps
impellers on boats are neoprene etc flexible not like in a car where it is a centrifugal metal wheel that moves water. I'm up for service soon anyway and for now temps and flow is all normal after just a burst start dry which should not destroy impellers.

Reactions: family affair