Just bought 1993 Seafarer

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just bought a 1993 seafarer in 6-7 out of 10 condition. Gel coat is crumbling a bit in the corners just behind the scuppers, a few gel issue son the inside, and it looks like the rub rail and the rubber trim around the windows could be replaced or redone. I dont see any sign of leaks in the cabin, but hate the look of the trim. Nothing worse than a drip if you are trying to sleep!

Anything I should look for on this? Surprises? Known issues of a boat of this vintage?

New canvas, two anchors, transom appeared solid as you could about stand on the trimmed up outboard and nothing happened. Our marina is a grady white dealer, but I dont work for the marina part of the business so I can get stuff at cost, but will be doing any restoring work myself. Should be a fun adventure. Will be getting a yamaha 250 four stroke in time.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Congratulations. I bought an earlier vintage (1984) and have been restoring it. Purchased 6/2017 and sea trialed in 6/2018. I redid all wiring, thru hulls, fuel, etc. Redid transom. Added bracket. I really love the seafarer. I believe yours has the SV2 hull. I went with a 300 Verado. I am tickled with it.

I have some videos on my Youtube page of what I've done. I don't think you need to do anything like I have.

I cruise at 28-30 mph and burn 2.72 mpg (6 guys, full gear, 1/2 fuel, 26 walleye and ice in cooler - lol!). Top speed of 48 -- 5/8 fuel, full gear, hard top, curtains up, 4 people, flat water.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on the Seafarer. I have an 03 226 and love it.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the thoughtful response. I have a 250 yam with low hrs gor it. Already purchased. Has a knock, and my father, being a Motorhead/ marine mechanic has agreed to rebuild it for me.

I bet the verado screams

Nice thing is, mine is good to go as is. Till I wanna work at it.

The motor coming on the boat is a 1998 Yamaha fuel injected ox 226. With 900 hours. ..

What do you think that is worth?

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mmiela, good to hear! Since our marina is a Grady dealer, I see lots of dual consoles and CC's but almost no walk-arounds. Just not our market. But it's my market.

I wanted a boat that me and the wife can do overnighters and long weekend trips on Georgian bay.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Plus some good Laker fishing and downrigging!

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I just finished restoring my 1987 226, did everything except replace the twin Johnson 140's. Although they are dinosaurs for today's standards, I like them and not worried about economy. One thing to check on your boat is the steel bracket that ties your bow eyelet and anchor eyelet together. It is located in the front anchor compartment inside the cabin. They were made out of 1/4" steel plate, totally rust away over time, mine had turned to a pile of rust flakes.

Reactions: UCPA111

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just finished restoring my 1987 226, did everything except replace the twin Johnson 140's. Although they are dinosaurs for today's standards, I like them and not worried about economy. One thing to check on your boat is the steel bracket that ties your bow eyelet and anchor eyelet together. It is located in the front anchor compartment inside the cabin. They were made out of 1/4" steel plate, totally rust away over time, mine had turned to a pile of rust flakes.

Good to know! Thanks!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mmiela, good to hear! Since our marina is a Grady dealer, I see lots of dual consoles and CC's but almost no walk-arounds. Just not our market. But it's my market.

I wanted a boat that me and the wife can do overnighters and long weekend trips on Georgian bay.
My wife wants a CC to sit up front. I keep putting it off as my boat was in the water and in use until November 22nd last year. Gets pretty cold up north. The enclosed helm with drop curtains keeps it nice and warm and dry.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I had to replace mine. It was corroded away!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My wife wants a CC to sit up front. I keep putting it off as my boat was in the water and in use until November 22nd last year. Gets pretty cold up north. The enclosed helm with drop curtains keeps it nice and warm and dry.

See, I went from a CC to this one just because she is perpetually cold. And Living in ontario, if you cant do cold you aint boating. We went out and stayed at her parents cottage last night a half hr ride away. On the way back this morning it was apparent I made the right call. She curled up in the cabin with the dog and wasnt cold at all. If it is rough out, all the canvas is new and it is fully enclosed. She is liking it more and more, especially when she found out she loves sitting up front with the dog!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had to replace mine. It was corroded away!

Mine is in perfect condition. One question though, there is a bracket that attaches to the bow eye, but also there is a piece of threaded rod bolted to the top of that bracket, that connects somehow to the underside of the cleat on the deck. The anchor line is attached to that peice of threaded rod with a shackle.

is that how its supposed to be? Seems like a big pull would cause the shackle to run up to the top of the threaded rod and jam against the deck. Not a huge deal, i guess, just wondering if thats how it was intended.

UCPA111

Reaction score
That threaded rod does hold down the cleat. It seems someone was using it as a safety in the event they let out all the anchor line. It is sturdy. If you rip it off....I think the front of the boats coming off with it...or big chunks... :)

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, it does seem like it was just a safety. And based on how everything is glassed in, it looks like the rope would certainly be the weakest link

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My washdown pump runs, but doesn't pump. I haven't really tried to figure it out, but is there a shutoff on the through hull I can't find?

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is a thru hull for that. Make sure it is open. Could be an impeller gone bad or a spinning shaft.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
See, I went from a CC to this one just because she is perpetually cold. And Living in ontario, if you cant do cold you aint boating. We went out and stayed at her parents cottage last night a half hr ride away. On the way back this morning it was apparent I made the right call. She curled up in the cabin with the dog and wasnt cold at all. If it is rough out, all the canvas is new and it is fully enclosed. She is liking it more and more, especially when she found out she loves sitting up front with the dog!
She really liked the Sea Hunt Ultra 255 and if she had the money we would probably own that boat.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out picture posting!