just bought 2001 seafarer

tag0496

Reaction score
bought from orig. owner with 200hpdi.my question is hard top vs the bimini top w/full encl. it now has bimini w/full encl.just wasn't sure how hard top would effect ride,speed of boat?also any good gps tips for boat it has none now.

any advice appr.

thanx,
tal

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hardtop has many advantages over the soft top. Here are a few, easier to mount antennas and electronics overhead, something to grab onto when going to the bow of the boat, something for passengers to grab onto when underway (especially people standing), more storage for rods and fishing nets if you get the hardtop mounted rod holders, keeps you in the shade most of the time, etc.

The only downside that I know of is you cannot drop the top like you can with a bimini. Might be critical if you have to pass under bridges often that are very low.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hardtop is great...but be prepared for the performance penalty, particularly on your setup.

I had a '99 228 with a 200 and no hardtop...top end was 45 and would cruise comfortably at 35 or so. When I sold it and moved to an '01 226 with the hardtop and 200 HPDI, the top end was only about 38 mph. By experimenting with props, I found that I could get my top end back to about 41-42, and a cruise of 32 or so. Point is, you add a lot of weight when you add a hardtop, and you also add a considerable amount of wind resistance.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hardtop serves well for mounting on top all the goodies one tends to buy, radar scanner, multi GPS, VHF, sattelite radio, FM radio antennas, rod holders, outrigers, spotlights, flag poles, and the kitchen sink. Not to mention the radio box inside to connect to things from above.

Tuna mentioned something to hold onto, on my 204C bimini, I replaced the webbing straps at the rear with stainless down tubing, and my canvas at the walkaround was inside the frame, just like the OEM Grady canvas at the time. thi saffords a place to grab when shes rocking on the way to the bow.

If you treat the canvas peridoically, the top remains waterproof and will not leak.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned, the full enclosure fully loaded hard top vs. full enclosure bimini is 3+x the cost.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you boat a lot and plan to keep the boat a while, I'd invest the money for the hardtop. Yes, as mentioned it does cost more, but it gives you shelter in all weather. When its hot, you have shade and can roll the back and sides up, when its cold, roll it all down and it will keep you warmer. It is nice to have something sturdy to grab onto. It will also add resale value and is a great selling point as well. As for mounting electronics, it will give you better singals since everything is mounted higher up. A hardtop can also give you electronics boxes for mounting more equipment if needed. It also provides a great place to place your life jackets in the webbed mesh if you opt for tjhat, well worth the saved space and the ease of retrival incase something does go wrong.
I agree, you will see a decrease in speed and fuel efficiency, but I am actually shocked by Parthery's results, almost seems like the boat was propped for a light load to begin with. You should see a 3-4mph drop in top end tops, and maybe a slight increase in fuel burn, mostly because you will run at a higher rpm to get to speeds you are used to running at. I've owned boats with and without a hardtop, and will never buy another boat without one, it is a great feature to have.

Like bob mentions, my radio boxes on my boat have a Sat phone in the one, and my Radar screen and 2 VHF radios in the other, without those boxes I would not have had enough room to mount all the electronics I wished to have, I would have had to get smaller screens or get multiscreen units, instead I have a backup to everything but my radar.

As for a GPS, Garmin is the easiest to use and have nice units, Furuno is very reliable and Northstar makes the best, but they are pricey and a little more involved to use. Raymarine units are good too, but I've heard too many issues with their units and update problems, some have been fixed but I know too many guys who bought their stuff and now are getting rid of it after being on their boats for 6 months or less. If your boat already has one brand, you may want to stick with that brand to link them all up if they are newer. Yes, most brands now link up to one another but certain brands have had some issues linking up with others, or when they do link up they do not get their full range of use that they would if linked with like brands. Not sure if adding a Radar down the road would be an option, that is something to think about as well. Furuno and Raymarine have the best radar's and northstar is not far behind. Garmin's are decent and have gotten a bit better but I'd go with one of the other's over the Gamin, the other's have been proven, the Garmin Radar's are just proving themselves now and not a ton is known about how long they will last. Also, adding XM weather is a nice touch that you may want to think about, you can overlay it on your GPS which is something I would not leave out of a new purchase if you can swing the added price tag. Always buy as big of a screen that you can afford and is sensible, I'd say 6" min, 7" or larger perfered. There are lots of good units out there, my recommendation is to go to a local electronics store and play around with them and see what you like since you will be using it. West Marine's and Boat US's are not the best stores to check, they do not carry all brands and typically their sales associates do not know about all the brands and cannot give you the best advice. Find a store near you that specializes in marine electronics as their main objective, they will give you the time to go over basics and find what suits you best. If it was going on my boat, I'd go with a furuno or Northstar unit although the Gamin unit's are tempting.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My very first boat was an 88 228G (bracket) which has now been restored by Mullet. It had a factory hardtop and was am amazing mini-battlewagon for a 22' boat. The hardtop gives you a better enclosure, a radio box, extra rod holders, antennas out of the way, etc. Highly recommend for any serious fishing. :D

Congrats on a great boat BTW.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

My 1st question would be what kind of boating do you plan on doing? Do you plan on going off shore in inclimate weather or do you take the kids fishing and boating on nice weekends?
The earlier posts have all made good points, mounting places, clearance, weight, windage but when I'm on the boat, I like to "catch some rays"!
W/ the bimini, I can put it up if I want some shade and the full enclosure to get weather protection.
W/ the bimini down, it is considerably easier for casting fishing (for me about 80% of the time) which brings me back to my original question.
My 2 cents!
As for a GPS, Sounder combo for a 228, I'd pick a Ray A65 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking at a 228 with bimini and wanted to get a price on retrofitting
a hardtop. Was advised on this board that it could cost 10K with enclosure
which is kind of a non starter.. Anyone know where I can get a price on a
oem type hard top ?? Is it practical to try to use any of the enclosure panels if it is a custom top ??

B-Faithful

Reaction score
Check with http://www.compositeyacht.biz/ in trappe maryland (right there by the choptank river and rt 50) for the top. I am not sure they do teh enclosures or would job it out but you can check a good canvas shop seperately for that. If that is the way you decide to go, they are about the best in the area at custom fabrication. If I had to guess at what a good top would cost depending upon options like rod holders, wiring, sunbrella vs. glass etc, I would guess $5-8 grand for the top installed and another $1000-1500 for the enclosure.

Good luck!

striped bass

Reaction score
I'll take the contrarian point of view to add a little interest. Assuming that you are planning average recreational and fishing use, I find the Grady with the least amount of high free board the most efficient and fun configuration. A simple Bimini top is more than adequate for us (both over 65 so we're no chickens). We fish between May and October between the Race, Watch Hill reef and the Block. If you are a heavy duty fisherman and make runs to the canyon then my comments don't apply.
My suggestion is to live with what you have and move up to more cockpit protection gradually as you find that you need it. Note that our 225 Tournament dual console fits us down in the boat behind the windshield very snugly. A CC may not offer the same protection so my comments may not apply to that configuration (although we had a CC up until last year and we had only a Bimini). Its been blowing 25 to 45 MPH here on Watch Hill reef for the past three days and we have been out every day.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I completely restored my last Grady and then decided I wanted a hardtop. After looking around for quite sometime I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a hardtop it was cheaper to sell the boat and buy one with a hardtop which is what I did.

Having had both a bimini and a hardtop I'd never go back to a bimini again. The hardtop is too versatile not to have especially if you’re a fisherman and have a full compliment of electronics.

As stated earlier they make a nice little pocket battlewagon.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Seahunter - and did the same thing. Sold my 228 w/ a bimini for a 226 w/ hardtop. Gave up the full transom, but the hardtop and full canvas package was a significant improvement.