Just bought a 283 release--WHat electronics should i put???

Ricky94

Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 (yes 2010) :D 283 Release. I ordered some factory options- outriggers, console cover, hardtop, casting platform and i put some F250s. Problem is, i am an old seaworthy man who has never used Gps, chartplotter , fishfinders and anything electronic. I would like to put A Gps/Fishfinder/chartplotter combo but i dont know which one to put. Please help me with the prices and brands :!: :!: :!:

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new boat! :D

Electronics is not a simple issue and there are many decisions:

o budget
o needs
o brands
o setup

There has been much change inb the past few years. I have the first generation of networked systems and 5 years later there are many of these now. It is very hard to be specific without more info but here are some general guidelines.

o integrated systems are the way to go
o major brands in no order are Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno, Simrad
o consider radar as they are cheap thes days and very useful
o if you do any serious fishing get an autopilot (Simrad and Garmin lead)
o a good VHF radio and HIGH quality antenna is step #1 (Icom 504, SH extension 5" speaker, Digital or Shakespear galaxy antenna)
o find a KNOWLEDGABLE installer in your area and get opinions. Beware of those you sell only a single brand. Best advice is from experience and those who work with multiple vendors.

When I rigged Megabytes in Fall 2003, I got the best, state of the art which was available regardless of price. If I rigged a boat today there are more choices so I'd again do lots of research. From what I know I'd lean towards a Garmin plotter and a Furuno Navnet for the radar and sounder.
For radio I am die hard Icom. I can hear boats 30nm and USCG over 100nm away. I top shelf antenna is key and not very expensive.

I also recommend a ACR EPIRB if you venture any distance offshore.
Good luck.

Ricky94

Reaction score
thanks for the help. now i have to check if these electronics work in PR. Also if you could, please tell me what model is best suited for my vessel 8)

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also like ICOM radios, but for the rest of the equipment there are MANY options. EPIRB's are nice and can save your ____ but I'm not sure about the rescue operations in PR.

For GPS/Charploltter: Garmin
RADAR: Furuno is the best but depends on indended use (not hitting something or spotting birds far away)
FF: Furuno is best and if you go deep, get a 1K unit

From your self description a dual 8" screen set-up is probably the smallest you want to go. Best bet would be to go to a store where they have some on display and mess around with them and see what you like.

LI Grady

Reaction score
For what it's worth here are my thoughts:

Get the biggest display you can fit & afford. Modern electronics can provide so much relevant info that you'll want to see & use as much as possible. A great example is a fishfinder and chartplotter...see a fish or structure, hit the mark button on the chartplotter and go back over it

All VHF radios will interface with your gps/chartplotter for DSC purposes, but some like Standards can, when hooked up to one of their own can display locations on the plotter. This is great when a buddy "sends" his numbers to your VHF and then you hit the "go to" button and head over all without having to announce his hot spot (I know not very sporting but in NY with the crowds and high percentage of morons you tend to compromise your values)

Don't just look at the units but the companies customer service. Some like Navico (Northstar, Simrad & Lowrance) have great units but are notoriously bad on customer service. Raymarine and Furuno seem to get high marks. The forums on "The Hul Truth" can help you out here.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Electronics

To get all the integrated features of the newer systems you will need to pick a single vendor for the big items (chartplotter, radar, sounder).

I don't have any recient experience with the Raymarine systems but they should be considered.

A friend of mine has the Furuno NavNet 3D on a 56' Ocean. 3 networked displays, sounder, Sirus weather. Although Furuno is a prefered vendor by many I'm not impressed. The internal charts are junk. After a year still being promised better cartography. Lots of options on the screens to allow you to configure things but overboard in my opinion.

I have a all Garmin system. 4210 chartplotter, network sounder, network radar and XM weather. Older Garmin 3006C chartplotter networked. Yamaha engines interfaced to chartplotter. Uniden radio (similar to Icom) with bidirectional interface to chartplotter. No autopilot. Excelent cartography with the G2 Vision chip. Useless 3D underwater view. Limited configuration options - could use a few more.

If I were charter fishing and doing the big money tournaments I would probably go Furuno. Better sounder and radar. Put up with the charts.

Of the two systems I like my Garmin system best. For a serious boater/fisherman it is an excellent system. Easy to use, completly integrated, configurable display(s), good price and reliable. Would probably work well for you. Install the 4212 or 5212 chartplotter if it will fit, GSD22 sounder and GMR18 or GMR24 radar dome. Icom 504 radio.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you need to decide whether you're going with "best of breed" approach or an integrated solution. If you go with the various manufacturers who have the "best" fishfinder, radar, etc you'll have a number of components that may not talk to each other in the manner you would like or expect. There's also a good chance you'll end up with a number of different displays that could pose a problem when figuring out where to mount everything. The advantage for selecting this method will be the top-of-the-line device for each specific use. Depending on what you need your equipment to do for you this may be the way to go.

For many people's needs the integrated approach is the best solution. You would install the marine network where all the different components can speak to each other and share data. Overall you'll end up with a very useable system with fewer displays. This is the approach that I personally like the best to fit my needs. I'm also partial to Garmin but Raymarine, Furuno, etc also make very nice systems.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good advice. As you can probably ascertain, there is no one perfect solution. First step is to assess you needs and prioitize. A VHF is a must so get the best. As for the other units, depending on your priorities, the answers will be different. If charts are #1 that will lead to a different answer then say radar, FF. If you don't need networking, then you might mix vendors.

The takeaway should be there is no single perfect system.

richie rich

Reaction score
I installed a complete Raymarine system for about $4000 or so......C80 is about 1500, Ray55 VHF DSC radio about 220, DSM300 sonar 650, 2kw radome 1200, Raystar125 GPS ANT 300, 600w transom mount triducer 120, Shakespear galaxy ant 100, plus installation/hardware....the 12 inch C120 os about 700 more....its a nice package and they all work well together. You can get 10-20%off if you buy a package deal with somebody.

Ricky94

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :D :D I think im leaning to keeping my budget to about 3000. Anyways, thanks for the advice!

richie rich

Reaction score
Ricky, for 3000 you're gonna have to cut something out...I wouldn't go smaller than an 8 inch screen for your size boat...Skip the radar for now and get the best chartplotter/GPS and VHS radio you can get, especially if you're a fair weather fisherman...you can always install the raydome next year.

Ricky94

Reaction score
Richie Rich: What can I do with a Radar??? Also, what can I do with a Chartplotter??

Ricky

richie rich

Reaction score
You are new to boating, correct?

OK...the chartplotter is the main screen on your helm/dashboard that is basically an electronic map or "chart" in nautical terms....it shows you your position and layout of the land and surrounding waters from a birdseye view...you gotta have it....to make things work, you need a GPS antenna to send your position to the chartplotter...it says "you are here" on the map.....the sonar/transducer shows you whats under the water, ie, depth, structure, temp, and best of all FISH...gotta have it...the radar shows you whats around your boat but above the water just like the radar on a plane...it will tell you what's in front and around you in the night and in fog and you can also see weather coming in as well.....this is not absolutley needed unless you plan on leaving the dock at night or in fog....you can still get caught in this situation, but if you pay attention to weather and heed the warnings its a rare occasion....you'll have to use your nav skills learned in boating class, ie horn sounding, GPS and compass.. All these items are plug and play with the chartplotter screen, so you can add things later if you don't have the cash now....the VHF is a must regardless of other options...buy a set of paper charts in case your system loses power so you have a hard map of your surroundings.....get a SeaTow package as well! This is AAA for boaters.

ticklestik

Reaction score
I have the same boat (2007 version). I don't fish, so I did not install outriggers or radar, but went with a Garmin 4212 chartplotter and an ICOM VHF radio. You might also consider autopilot, depending on your budget.

I had Garmin equipment with another boat and was familar with their displays and functions. I looked at the 5000 series, but did not like the touchscreen buttons and went with the 4212 instead.

If you fish and need radar, you could stay with Garmin or go with Furuno. There are tons of comments about both in THT. Good luck.

LI Grady

Reaction score
One more point. All of the major manufactuers have good VHF radios. The devil in the detials is the antenna.

I've always gone with Digital Brand atennas. They make a major difference and if you ever have to scream for help (mayday and hit the DSC) you going to want the best range and clarity. They aren't cheap (about $150). But I've always looked at it this way...if I'm treading water where I just spent 5 or 6 hours creating a chum slick and hoping someone heard me....am I really going to miss the extra few bucks? (Before everyone piles on I do have a life raft, EPIRB, ditch bag, etc)

I've heard (faintly of course) and on an obvious bounce the CG out of Virginia Beach once, boats conversing in by the Barnaget Bridge (these were on my 40 Pacemaker with an 8 foot extention) and I hear transmissions on LI Sound like they were next door. I'm located on the SOuth Shore of LI, Bay Shore/West Islip.

Trust me....they are worth the money

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good advice from LI Grady. In addition, if you're going to be offshore dual VHF radios with separate antennas is a good thing to consider. :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Op seems to be starting from the word crawl, so I would expect the boat dealer to hook him up with his electronics guy who can showroom him the choices in manufacturers, products lines, and features, and go over all the prices, may even take him to a boat he rigged out.

And the Op does have a limited budget to what some of you GG guys have suggested, (that's a very limited budget).

So that usually means one screen and not the biggest going, and no radar unless absolutely needed, no autopilot/sirius/nor weather services.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Electronics

Garmin has a non-network 545S chartplotter / sounder that is a nice unit. Works like the 4212 with a smaller screen and built-in sounder. More in line with your budget.

Don't go with the 540S to save money - low screen resolution makes it near useless.

If you think your going to add radar anytime soon buy the 4208/4210/4212 chartplotter so you can display the radar. Otherwise you'll have to add another display.